Friday, October 18, 2019

That's Me In The Corner…



I just found out tonight when was trying to find an image of Sandpiper restaurant in Boise Idaho that I was going to write about. The more that I searched the more I cannot find any reference to a wonderful interesting bar that I found just as I was coming of age in Boise Idaho in the early 70s. When everybody else was driving their cars and having an interesting end of their adolescence. I was pushing my wheelchair around Boise Idaho. I really don't know why, I think it was a summer night when I was wandering around downtown Boise and found this interesting little restaurant/bar called the Sandpiper. It's not like I found it that night, I'd always been aware of this little pub, bar whatever, located at 1100 South Jefferson St. The bar was right across the street from the big Boise Cascade international building in the place always intrigued me but is a good little Mormon boy I did not dare go in and tell this one night. The doors were probably open an music was floating out of the facility and there's nothing to stop me from rolling in, I was of age, and so I went in. I just knew the Holy Ghost left me the second I crossed the threshold if not earlier when I made the decision to enter this den of iniquity. But it was great! All dark and cozy and smoky and folk music, live music being played right there, on Jefferson Street in Boise Idaho on a hot summer night. I truly was losing my religion. I can't blame everything on the Sandpiper restaurant and folk music because truly I had been having a tug-of-war with the church all my life I think. But now, scales been dropped from my eyes. Lightning didn't strike me even when I ordered a glass of wine or was it the gin and tonic I can't remember. It's not like I even knew what I was doing I only knew gin and tonic because I'd heard it in the movies more than once. I snuck up on the shot glass and tasted but I've always considered Christmas in a drink.

A week or so ago I googled the Sandpiper And it popped right up. There even images and the address 1100 South Jefferson St. There was also listings for the restaurant in Idaho Falls are Pocatello some other Idaho locales. I was pleased to think that the little restaurant/bar was still in existence. Tonight when I tried to find the same search nothing came up. One of the Facebook pages I am part of is Idaho history are Boise history or something like that and I asked the question what happened to my restaurant? I got answers back that it's been gone for years. I was totally baffled. I was bound and determined to re-find my search and I did find it. I can search a certain way and listings come up for the restaurant. I also found the restaurant actually is gone the building is still there of course now going under the name of Lock Stock and the Barrel. I don't think they play folk music anymore. Looks like some sort of trendy upscale meat shop. The menu looks like you could easily drop $100 for a two-person dinner. Here is the link to where I found the current listings…https://www.activediner.com/sandpiper/restaurant/boise/id/us/map/405139. Or may be I am just in the twilight zone searching for my religion…



No comments: