Thursday, October 17, 2019

R2-Me2 Plzzzzzzz




We've been having great weather, and of the summer fall weather all week long and I've really taken advantage and of tried to be out in the weather is much as possible. Tuesday was such a day temperature almost in the 70s I had an Assist meeting finally and I had traveled in on public transit, as usual, and I had been early enough so I could go the small pastry shop next to the Assist offices and grab some coffee or maybe user accessible bathrooms which I desperately appreciate.

I grabbed my coffee and wandered towards the front door of the a little shop and noticed a fancy dressed fellow outside with what looked like a basketball that was rolling around. I couldn't tell for sure if this fellow was somehow related to the ball are a homeless guy looking for something I wasn't sure. I got closer to the individual and realized the two folk were owners of the ball. The ball was a spherical device somewhat larger than a basketball but made of plastic and had to wheels embedded on the bottom. It was kind of a slick looking operation by still couldn't figure out what the interest was. So I watched a minute or two. The kid who is fancifully dressed is obviously a sales rep and the “basketball with a personality” was a device would seem to trail after the sales rep. It was kind of cute, the device followed the guy like a little dog/puppy. I couldn't figure out how the system worked though. I was a bit taken back because although the device which I shall call R2-D2 looked a little cheap at least the wheels did in my estimation. I still was totally interested in the idea of the concept. Individual informed the gathering group that R2-D2 was a carrying device, something which can hold up to 40 pounds of cargo and was designed to follow the individual who is imprinted on its “brain” which it seemed to do readily. In fact, I was somewhat enthralled with the device and I kind of challenged the sales rep about how the device new to follow was ever in control/owner. He rather quickly showed me and it kind of made sense and I'm sure it the whole operation straight up. The sales rep indicated they are in the community trying to build awareness and interest in the device for the general release of the personal carrier later October or maybe November.

The device is called Gita, I think the friendly version is myGita. If one adds a.com to that name you go to the website where you can actually see cute little videos of the device. It looks like the going to cost around $3200 roughly when they do hit the market. Aside from the cuteness I'm sure there's lots of folks who could use something like this. I think the senior market could really be interesting. The only problem I'm seeing is that if you have 40 pounds worth of materials you still have to get them out of the Gita which would mean one has to lean over and pull them out. I could use something like this to take my clothes back and forth to the wash maybe even tote things home from the market but still having to get the items out would be a trip but maybe not I put the bag inside the device. I don't know how this would work getting on public transit and I don't know how long I would have it before I destroyed it one way or the other it's cute though and what I think is really neat is that technology is finally getting to a point of practicality for people with Disabilities…

No comments: