Tuesday, October 15, 2019

I Lied My Brains Out




Route 47 meanders a bit coming from IHC/TDS medical Center on the way to Redwood Road to the graveyard bus stop where I get off. Actually, I don't like route 47 and I avoid it whenever I can but it's hard to in the mornings when I go inbound because is the fastest route to Murray central train station. But anyway the route breaks off the main route and wanders around this quasi-industrial/business section between Murray and Taylorsville and I've noticed over the couple years I've been doing this route that there've been some might look like fairly upscale restaurants. Never ever considered stopping to check them out however that's changed over the last couple weeks I don't know why maybe it's this feeling that I need to be more active in checking out the resources at my disposal.

Today was Tuesday of course that means I was in Salt Lake for my Assist, Inc., Advisory board meeting where we go over assistance requests for home repairs by low income, senior and people with disabilities. Is that volunteer program I've worked with for decades. Anyway, is feeling semi-daring and decided to rather than stop at the State Street Tacotime, which I love to do, but decided the try something else. I don't know why but I've been intrigued lately as we wander through that meander the bus takes off as we head towards Redwood Road. It's a restaurant called CHOP FUKU, Asian cuisine. Of course to me Asian cuisine means Chinese food and I thought “what a delight perhaps I can find my wayward and for young”. I mean I know I'm just a boy from South Boise not sophisticated but what the heck I want to find out what CHOP FUKU is all about. I feel I didn't have much to lose sense route 47 is a 15 minute headway so is always a bus coming.

It was about 115 when the bus downloaded me almost directly in front of CHOP FUKU. The place was almost deserted except for staff when I got there. They rushed out helping me into the establishment. Young Asians which I'm pretty sure were not Chinese and I suppose were Thai after getting a look at the menu. Quite a few tables actually for a smallish restaurant maybe six staff. And rap music blaring out from speakers around the facility. I was kind shocked it was kind a high-end you know what those places that barely lists the cost of the food. It it's very just have to read the menu right. I should've realized but there's lots of sushi, fish roles all kinds of roles, rice of course in all kinds of other trendy food things but there is nothing there is lightweight Chinese food except for possibly rice. Then I read the menu again as well as the outside of the building and true it did say CHOP FUKU Aging Cuisine, there is also the words Bistro and mixed drinks/lounge. It really WAS a high-end place. I didn't quite know how to order but eventually I did order something “Beef” that came with rice and stirfried vegetables as well as a soup and a small salad – – everything was pretty much small. I gagged on the soup at first that grew to quite as I enjoy the flavor. The soup tasted like the canal used to smell like after the water and then released that fishy smell?. I was surprised by how much I kind of enjoyed the salad and dressing. The main dish was at lunch of chopped up beef with the stirfried vegetables, cabbage red pepper broccoli squash, onion and a few other things that was actually kind good. Though the flavor of the beef was not bad the bits of meat were tough almost beyond my ability to chew – – not because I'm a senior though I'm sure that might be part of it but also because the meat was tough terribly tough I cannot believe how tough. I mean the kind of tough that you buy a cheap piece of meat and cook at home that kind of tough that he cannot wait to get home to floss the protein out of the teeth so they well stop hurting. I dutifully shake my head and said the meal was great when the little Asian guy came by and asked about The quality of the days meal. I like my brains out. I'm never going back… I think.

No comments: