Saturday, October 05, 2019

Morning Of The Waking Dread



It's 4:38 a.m. on Saturday morning I wish I were asleep. I've already been awake probably 30 minutes I'm trying not to look at the clock but it's another early morning for this very quickly becoming geriatric dude is now part of the waking dread. Doomed to walk those hours of consciousness between 4:38 AM and 11:15 PM if I'm lucky. Sometimes I feel like a zombie powered my chair through the hours of the day. I wish I could take a nap, and I probably could if I want to work that hard but it's just not convenient like able-bodied geriatrics who could just lay down at a moments notice, have to sleep and wake up in time for cocktails. There's a number of folk in this building I understand are doing that well not waking up for cocktails for say but taking naps through the day as part of the regimen to live through the day. Irene for instance almost 80 something but extremely active, Irene is the associate support person here in the complex. When the main person leaves to go shopping or out to dinner are something Irene takes over. Irene is a super clean freak but she's nice about it just never ever wants point a finger at me and I need a lot of fingers pointed at me. But she wakes up at 3:30 AM and she says she cannot get back to sleep and then she takes off to do whatever she does during the day which is quite a lot. This person really impresses me. She does lay down I think every once in a while through the day. A lot of the people at coffee talk about heading back to bed when copies over with for the first of a couple naps they will take during the day. I envy that I really do. However I sort of think if I were able-bodied I probably wouldn't nap all that much but who knows?

I'm kind of excited. Yesterday Dianne and I went out to our old Mexican/American restaurant. I don't think we've been back since the divorce. And I was taken aback when we went inside and David one of the owners of the establishment came up and shook my hand and he began to scold me for not coming in I couldn't believe it. I love David so this is not a big deal still got me thinking about all those people in our lives that we affect when we make major decisions in our lives. Dianne I had a great time we talked a lot and we talked a long time. We started our lunch at about 1130 I think we finished about 1:30 PM. We could've gone longer but I had to get to a bus stop. In the part of town where our restaurant is at the bus comes only once an hour and yesterday was much cooler than I anticipated and I didn't want to be hanging out in the wind on State Street for more than an hour. I don't know when Dianne and I will go out again but I think we well. We have two more restaurants to visit that we haven't for years one of them is the Shanghai—midcity roughly—and the other one Is Market St Grill, a high-end restaurant we used to frequent quite often when we would go to the tabernacle in downtown Salt Lake on Sunday mornings. It was a fun place for us anyway with lots of memories that are good. I don't know the staff would think we are that much fun but they pretty much left us alone. The market Street staff didn't quite know what to do with us.

What really weirds me out about being part of the waking dread is that I don't feel too bad as I go to my day even waking up at 3:30 AM. Granted, I feel much better if I can sleep till even six or 630 and sometimes even 7 AM but that's rare. But try go to bed fairly early, for me 10 PM I really lucky but rarely do I make it to bed before 1130. Lesson is I'm okay get up when I wake up and enjoy the day…

No comments: