Thursday, October 31, 2019

Humbug Halloween



I could go on about how Halloween is my least favorite holiday, kind of, I suppose holidays like Arbor Day and other holidays I can't remember or so innocuous that I have no recollection. Halloween, however, is probably the least of the big ones. I'm is not like Halloween gets days off for special recognition aside from dentists, candy sellers and partiers. Halloween is become a great big day for Utah Highway Patrol put out its feelers to try to boost state revenues by nailing people under the influence I really can't get to upset with that. But basically howling from is never been a big deal. Even when I was a little kid and is basically forced into the event by older brother who just love to go out and trick-or-treat – – these twice that's the way it seemed to me. As you all know I was brought up on the farm there in Boise and trying to hit houses on Halloween there was a long walk between homes. There were times however we could talk to parents are somebody to drive us over to Highland Drive area which is considered “big-time” for the you got real candy in real candy bars. There was subdivisions begin to creep up on the farmland in the area where our farm is located sometimes that's as good as it got was trick-or-treating that area which is pretty good all things being equal. All that I remember was seemingly walking miles and miles in cold often wet weather. I usually had a costume that cover the face so the mouth hole is always crusted with spit. When I was wearing glasses as a child then the glasses would fog up with you cause me to stumble all the time carrying a pillowcase that seem to be getting heavier and heavier with sugar contraband. It was nice to have the candy which would blast way into the Christmas holidays but is also certainly a great deal of work.

There is of course the whole issue of the Halloween event barely even being celebrated as it used to be. Instead of little urchins/goblins which is and ghosts trooping from 1 yard it to the next pounding on doors caution has directed families to develop programs like trunk or treat a play on the phrase trick-or-treat. Organizations such as hot rod clubs, church groups and neighborhoods park all the cars and a huge circle and the kids go from one trunk to the next getting their booty. It's all supervised and all relatively safe for the hobgoblins and spooks. Many families with a large enough cousin base are just having their own Halloween party and that's as good as it gets and perhaps that's best. This year, it's going to be a cold Halloween, unseasonably cold, but dry and clear. I'm sure the holiday participants will be happy with their individually wrapped, calorie loaded sweet tasting sugar treats. Tomorrow, if I really cared about such things I would hit the markets and drugstores in the area as they download their Halloween candies and treats to make room for the Christmas lollapalooza that's coming right after Thanksgiving. I would just as soon stay in my warm apartments now that I have the furnace operating functionally right and I havespent all morning cooking a stew and biscuits. I basically worked out for the day and I'm ready to kick back and enjoy the evening and my gated community minus children…

No comments: