Monday, January 27, 2020

Legend


.
I just finished texting a friend of mine from the old days as Dennis not dissimilar from another friend I am from the old days was also named Dennis and went to the same ecclesiastical communal gathering called a ward which I did. This Dennis was much older though and was a bit of a legend as well as personal hero. He would've been what was deemed one of the “big kids”. A universe away from my as a lowly little kid.

Dennis was a larger-than-life kind of individual. He was an All-Star wrestler high school as well as a bit of football sensation as well as a fighter. Dennis was a local icon the kind of guy that everyone kind of adopted or pretended that they knew. My personal memories of Dennis Ward were literal fistfights at the iconic Twin Bridges on the Ridenbaugh Canal South of Boise Idaho. I would spend major portions of summer days at this swimming hole. Big kids like Dennis would slip down to the bridge on their lunch breaks or when they would get off work. I just researched this blog there are number of accounts fictionalized and nonfiction of some of the great fights from those days. I guess the point I am trying to make is that the peculiarities of time I have brought Dennis and I together again not so much as legend and hero as much as friends which, blows my mind.

I guess we have more in common than I think. We are both from the same geographical location and the same congregation. We are both living in Salt Lake and seemed like each other's company. We get together once or twice a year and I just feel that is enough. We actually should get together more it's funny that we do not. Earlier last week I learned that this has cancer. I don't know what kind I don't know how aggressive except that is in the middle of this chemo regimen. This gives me hope Dennis will go through this regimen and be back to his old self. Dennis is a funny guy some might say a joker. Happy-go-lucky. Perhaps his best quality for success in this situation is that he's a fighter, hands down probably the best fighter I will ever know. I still worry about Dennis because watching what happens to him could very well happen to me. I am not nearly as good a fighter as Dennis.

Dennis is scheduled for chemo tomorrow at 11 o'clock. Dennis has six more treatments in this round. I don't know how many more rounds he has. Dennis has already shaved his head after brazenly pulling out handfuls of hair on YouTube. I do not know if I would call this brave as much as entertaining and Dennis is always been an entertainer. Dennis is a sales guy that I mention that earlier? Dennis is self-employed, Dennis has a neat little business selling closet organizing systems and who knows what else. I'm looking forward to my lunch with Dennis hopefully this lunch will be one of many we still have to share…





No comments: