Thursday, January 30, 2020

Wedding Belles




It's getting on spring, the holidays are long past and typically we are sitting in the “dead” of winter. However that descriptor, colorful as it is, no longer really describes the season. Call it what you well and I will stick with global warming but the days are a bit overcast but with much more rain and snow, which would be typical of the season. So begin to feel a lot like spring that means wedding announcements. I was intrigued when I went to the mail Monday or Tuesday and pulled out a hand addressed piece of mail. I did not immediately recognize the return address or the name till I put together the names of the two individuals who sent the announcement. The announcement was from my niece and her intended. I cannot say I was surprised after all I received a great Christmas card from the two over the holidays. I was not surprised only that they were being so open and what I deem a fairly conservative family. I was not shocked because I pretty much figured out my niece was gay for a couple of years now.

I think they are a cute couple in their own way. Like all marriage regardless of ethnicity and gender choice marriage is hard . I know I've been there three times, three times the play and struck out all three times. I wish them the very best. I also like them to know how much I appreciate being included in their plans. Sadly, I doubt I would be able to make their event which will be in another state this coming March and with my inability to travel cannot see a way of being there but I do appreciate the inclusion.

We are a hugely blended family. We were blended from the beginning. Mom having been in a couple of marriages adopted a couple of kids (me being one of them) my dad being divorced have three kids coming to the relationship. They blended back in the early 50s. This was back before divorce and remarriage in the blend was a “thing”. As the “thing” of divorce and marriage became more and more common our uniqueness faded into commonplace. Which was good.

To my knowledge this is the first openly gay marriage in this/my family. Legally! I think this is cool and I think it's time. I hope the family will be as inclusive to them as Heidi in Nicole have been to me. As I've indicated my family is fairly conservative. However, I hope they will be able to open arms and welcome this couple in. Hopefully the names will be included on Christmas card lists, other family announcements and invitations to family reunions and other gatherings. Aside from being a family of adopted kids we're also a hodgepodge of social strata, salespeople, categories, lumberjacks, builders, healthcare –professionals salespeople to say nothing of a bunch of retirees and old farts. We are a massive blended group and for the most part we get along just fine. These girls Union will only make a stronger and better family.



No comments: