Sunday, January 05, 2020

Snowy Woods And More



Had another one of those recurring dreams this morning, and I was going to write about it but decided do a search first of the overall blog and it's amazing how many references I make to reoccurring dreams. So obviously I will not bother the reader with another trip into my subconscious with dreams that refuse to stay away.

At our last writers group lunch way back in December and that seems like a year ago now. We thought it would be a good idea to work on some memorization of favorite poetry. I've always been awe of people who at a moments notice could recite an entire poem, part from a play or even a song. I have a difficult time memorizing. I would like to blame it on my head injury but truth be told I've always had difficult time with memorization. I'm sure I've recounted somewhere in this blog about having to learn the preamble to the Constitution and the eighth grade I think I got 90% of it done and that was enough to get a passing grade but I would like to got it all under my belt. It's weird I can get all the except a few pieces and everything that I try to memorize. I think it's completion thing with me. For some reason I have a fear of perfectly memorizing a piece. I don't know why but I know enough to realize that it's a problem. When my favorite pieces is Frost's Stopping By The Woods…,I love the simplistic nature of the poem is inclusion of the little horses inpatient space desire to get back home. I also harbor an unrealistic but never ending drive to memorize Poe's The Raven that would be a real challenge. I have gotten a number of stanzas under my belt but nothing coming close to the whole poem but I've got the first part down and that's kind of goodness for me. There's a couple of soliloquies from Shakespeare worked on for years same scenario most of it but not all of it. I have to admit memorization of poetry is fun. I enjoy the way the words work together and rhyme. I wish I had a stronger handle on non-rhyming poetry. I have a difficult time finding the meter or the beat but I love listening to other people who can find the rhythm and read or quote with conviction. Sadly, that will never be me but I think I will continue to try to wrestle the words into as much controls I can muster.

I have even participated in poetry slams number of years ago. That was before I knew better. It was kind of frightening for me but I love listening to people who really had confidence of their own poetry or the ability to read other people's poetry on stage. I don't see many slams anymore or even coffee shops that have weekend poetry reading that's counted too bad. Even the audience participates in the poetry just by their active listening and clapping in the old days they click their fingers during the beat times of smoldering cigarettes, dark coffee turtleneck sweaters and berets. Well, I've wondered way too far and I best get back to memorization…

No comments: