Thursday, January 02, 2020

Techno-Apocalypse



I am slowly coming out of my techno-apocalypse but it's not over yet not by a long shot but seems to be getting better one day at a time. Remember earlier this week? When I turned the lamp on above my bed and the breakers? Actually trapping me in bed for the rest of the morning until I either called in the fire department, home health person showed up. As you know everything turned out okay but I must share with you one of my fears is to be trapped in bed having to wait until someone comes to rescue me. I remember after my last couple operations when I lost all my independence having to wait in the morning until my home health people would arrive nearly drove me insane. Really, this feeling of captivity and positive thoughts of my X-wife/best friend , Dianne powered me into risking transferring from my bed into my power chair. I been haunted by this feeling ever since yesterday morning what can I do? Then I remembered when we got one of our big computers we actually bought this “electric brick”. This was a storage device that essentially a battery with plug-ins that you plug in your computer and support machines so when there would be a power failure you would not lose power to your equipment at least not tell the battery ran down and it was good for X amount of hours lots of time. So, the thinking through… Oh, I guess I need to tell you that I have an all electric bed power up power down power up front power in the back to set me up. It's beautiful, I use it every day. In the evening my chair is above my bed level 4 to 6 inches above the bed so that I just roll into the bed at bedtime conversely when I get up I'm able to raise my bed about my chair allowing me to fall in my chair all independently. So when the power went off I was stuck.

I remember there is a place for a 9 V battery to be plugged into the bed! What a great idea!! If there's a power failure you can just maneuver the bed to what you want and escape. Then I read closer today and found out that the battery just powers the back or the front of the bed to lower itself to a flat position. It will not raise or lower the platform of the bad… That's what I thought I remembered the “electric brick”. If this work for backup for computers why would network for power beds? I figured the best placed answer the question would be the electrician/engineers at the place where they make the bed. The place in Georgia, Graham something. Seriously, I thought just a call to another geeks and they would give me the answer I desired maybe already had a system in place. I cannot be the only one who has asked this question. Well as soon to find out that either I was/am or they don't give a rats ass. I knew I was to have problems when I have to speak to engineering and the receptionist was not going to let me pass. Wonder what the problem was that she started tell me that nothing would work. I have to give her credit rather than escalating our conversation to a major verbal confabulation she said hold on and sent me back to somebody who was not “engineering” but thought that she knew a lot about the problem I was talking about. Actually, I'll bet she was from “legal”. I outlined my problems to her she seemed to understand that said there's nothing that works that could work flat out. She would let me speak to any of the geeks and my frustration with building. This cannot be that big of a problem my only question is with these already systems that are out there from computer survivals to regular survivalists who use gas powered generators work for my needs. Surely I cannot use a gas powered generator the power my bed with the power goes out. That stupid! I just need enough power to be able to either raise the band are lower the bed platform to where I can use it to get in out of my chair are actually into my chair. I was not able to get an answer from anyone but are starting to quest. Which of the power storage systems out there would work and not burn out my motor. The reason I think she's from legal is the way that she phrased the question about burning out the motor, she was thinking of liability of either burning out the motor on the bed or burning down the house with some disabled guy stuck in bed that he cannot get out of one of their beds and that's the whole story. She even told me that she had this question from a bunch of families of relatives who I guess got burned up in the California fires. Never thought about that area being a place were a lot of seniors might live but really that make sense.

And produce a more searching. And asking around someone's got to know what the right mpg is. I did get to hear the guy say that it draws about 9 A of power to either raise or lower the bed. I really thought I was going to the answer I wanted but no not this time. So the quest continues for solutions to the techno-apocalypse…

No comments: