Thursday, March 23, 2017

A T Council


This is turning out to be a very long week. Seems like I've had something majorly do every day and today is no exception . Today I should be back to the Buflmire center where I will have a meeting the Assistive Technology Council or more succinctly the A T Council. I was thinking about my involvement with this organization yesterday on my bus ride home. This is another counsel that I have been involved in four more than two decades, less so in the last two years following my surgeries as I try to get back to my level of involvement. I really think that the boards and councils that I set the system one that is more important to me than most since I use a great deal of assistive technology. Case in point my total dependency on power chairs and now my power bed. I really did not talked a lot about my power bed which is basically a hospital bed that electrified and has hydraulics that raise and lower the whole bed as well as the top aand bottom. This chair allows me to raise myself tired of the basically fall into my chair and at the end of the day lower far enough that allows me to fall in bed from my chair. Both falls are highly controlled aand relatively safe. Again, whether it is safe or not I do both of these false usually by myself. So far I've had little issue of concern. A couple times I've come close to falling but been able to pull a rabbit out of a hat at the last minute.. So yes A T is extremely important in my life and my involvement on this Council is important if no one else myself..


I have been immensely fortunate in the past that my involvement in many these organizations aalthough important to me many times fit the criteria of my job description when working for the independent living Center as well as from working for the State. Now in retirement my involvement is directly related to my personal independence – – however,, one could say I am all touristic and doing this citizen involvement for all the other folks with disabilities who rely on assistive technology,, their parents and service providers. I wish I could say I am an ultra stick guy but when truth be told I just need to be involved. Interestingly I spoke with Dianne last night, on the phone, who indicated I was fortunate to still get my socialization through these encounters her she does not have the same ability. I felt for her. I'm sorry to say that I am a creature that needs active, ongoing socialization.

I'm not sure how I will be received when I roll through the door this morning. I will be intrigued to see how the population of the group is changed. Many of the folks I initially started with on this Council of left through one means or another. At one point the Council was heavily lately with state and NGOs folk which is okay. Too few consumers. I was considered a gift since I represented both professional and consumer. I will be interested to see what the consumers involved.. One I think I know, I think highly of. And I don't know who the others might be. Yesterday I was a bit challenged, at my meeting,, I didn't take much part because I was essentially trying to keep myself in my chair by spasticity had typically increased and I was a mess. But I made it I don't know about today.. I'm a little worried my butt hurts and it's raining.. But I intend to go, I want to participate in most of all I want to see what they'll be serving for lunch.



No comments: