Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Flash Back


Tuesday: standing appointment at Assist, Inc. downtown Salt Lake right across the street from the Salt Lake Public Library. I was going to drag in my latest book that I had borrowed from the library last Tuesday but am totally frustrated because I cannot find one of the CD-ROMs of the volume. I have looked everywhere, I've had to people look everywhere it's not here anywhere. I'm not sure quite what to do. Mark Anthony suggested that I purchase a whole new volume and just replace it. I called the library itself and asked them and Library staff said the same thing but be sure to let them know so that one they can replace it in their computer system into that they don't charge me for the lost item. Still I need another volume to read/listen to now and I began this new phase of acquiring literary content By having the document read to me. The last volume I read Pushing Ice By Alastair Reynolds was so good I want to read another volume of his. I have 30 minutes And I knew it wouldn't take me very long to check out the new book so I wandered through the atrium for a few minutes stopping for a significant amount of time at the art gallery. I was struck by this one piece of art which took me back 52 years.I must've been about 12 years old.I lived on a.farm south Of Boise, Idaho. The farm was small just 17 acres in the whole area was changing. The farm community was beginning to be cut up by homes, urbanites building on farm ground. Just to the west of our property space for three homes. That summer one home and then rented to a family to had a daughter about 17 years old. The family had moved into the house just after the Christmas holidays and we had never really gotten to know them except see that kids come and go. They're a big kids kids in high school the 17-year-old daughter and her brother who must've been around 15. They did not go to the high schools that we went to probably because they want to finish out the year in school they started. Now however it was summer. It was June and already the days were hot. I soon noticed that she would lay out every afternoon in her front yard. But the front yard was actually two fields from our back door.

I had a treehouse at that time. The treehouse was above the garage or parking shed. The treehouse was large enough to sleep two or three adolescents. Was in the treehouse one day that I noticed her coming out of her home in just bikini with a blanket to lay down on the yard and begin tanning. 12 or 13 years of age I was your typical hormone deranged adolescent and all I want to do was get a better view of this neighbor particularly when she took her top off the better tan. My father had inherited a 3040 Krag rifle– – It was actually a sniper rifle and came with a scope. I actually went up into the attic and secretly took the rifle down and drag it up the tree spent afternoon after afternoon pointing the deadly weapon at the neighbor sunbathing. It still is a fun memory of my adolescence.


I saw this painting at the library and instantly I was back in my treehouse praying for my neighbor to set up in her yard. Had I felt I had the extra cash I would've paid the hundred or so dollars the painting advertised. I miss my childhood I miss my adolescence. Thoughts of those days make me feel like a Bruce Springsteen melody.

No comments: