Saturday, May 13, 2017

Full Circle


It's mail carrier food drive time. I was really quite surprised earlier this week when I went to check my mail and found a blue plastic bag. The bag of course is for the local mail carrier food drive a pretty cool system where bags are delivered earlier in the week and then on a specified date later in the week mail carriers come around and pick up the food as well as the mail. I of course have seen this done in the neighborhood I used to live in where it was accomplished either by mail carriers are the local Boy Scout troop. However I thought it was kind of weird it happening at a senior living apartment complex. I don't know why I think that's weird just this to me. Talk about cycle. These are the same folks who are on the receiving end of these canned goods every week during food bank day. Food bank in our facilities isc on Saturdays.

I personally don't use food bank as everybody else does. I think I'm in the wrong income bracket which I really need to explore more fully maybe I do qualify for food bank. It doesn't really matter sense I get access to most of the materials one way or the other since they all seem the end up on the sharing shelf sooner or later. I quite frankly have been impressed with the amount of food that's available through the food bank program. It's quite good stuff if you like to cook. You certainly don't get the trendy meals and can/box that seem to be out there for high-end users but for basics vegetables, fruit, canned meats food bank is great! I particularly love the plastic jugs of fruit juice I really enjoy the tomato juice and the grape juice. I have seen Apple juice come through and of fruit juice cocktail but the fruit juice cocktails mainly sugars and a little fruit so I'm not much into that but the other juices I sure enjoy plus there's boxes of milk real milk not not dry milk but to be sure there's lots of dry milk which end up on the sharing shelf too. I've certainly pilfered couple bags that in case I ever need dry milk.


I took my bag went back to my apartment and then the other day and my staff was here she and I filled the bag with cans of food. I threw in the regular stuff that I think everyone else does a can spinach, can read beans, five of six cans of tuna, were part of a case that we got as a couple that I got half of what we split up, that I will never eat because The tuna is a poorer quality of tuna fish, which I will eat if I need to. A person can hide a great deal of poor flavor with enough onions and pickles. However I also threw in a couple of cans of food I really like like, a large can of Dinty Moore Stew, a can of spam and a can of tamales . These are all items I would like to get if I were to get a food box or if I needed to get a food box. I did not read the instructions on the bag before the cans Asked the neighbor how the food was to be picked up and she informed me that I was to leave my bag down at the mailbox in the postal workers would pick it up around 9:30 AM. So I roll down there right after breakfast and was met with this role of little blue bags. Kind of funny all this food goes to the Utah Food Bank Which will show up at our local food bank in a couple weeks or months. It really is true, life is a circle.

No comments: