Saturday, May 27, 2017

Weekend Of Dead


Today is the beginning of the Memorial Day weekend. I was going to write a posting about dead people today that I have known, but I think I am going to wait until Monday to write that post. However, this morning I did get caught up reading obituaries. I may have at one time or another in these blogs talked about Legacy.com a website which allows you to go in and follow a newspaper of your choices obituary columns. I know that's pretty grim but I am interested at who is passing in my hometown of Idaho. I don't know why I am not so involved locally in Salt Lake in the obituary reading department. I am most interested in who is dying in Boise though.

Who is dying in Boise is of interest to me because I am at an age where many the folks, I grew up with are beginning to succumb to the whips and scorns of this challenging life. I'm also interested in finding those adults I grew up with, who are passing and reading their history as short as those histories might be. However, I'm finding out more and more folks I knew are passing on.

Each time I come upon someone who is passed on that I know I'm always shocked. The first thing I think of how can someone so young and I and then I have to think holy cow I'm 66 – – when did the world become so old? People I know who are my age are a little older are getting fatal diseases like cancer more and more regularly. I study statistics in college a little bit and when I roll back from the big picture and look at it from a statistical standpoint this all makes sense. Yup, it's time.


I'm all confused about graveyard etiquette or more specifically how crass is it not to visit people who are dead. I kind of would like to go out and visit mom and dad but they are way down in Santa Quinn Utah, which is more than ours interstate driving south from Salt Lake. The only way I could get down there would be in my wheelchair accessible van. I'm sure my brother is going down as well as some of my cousins because I have an uncle who is buried there as well. And I'm sure if I begged hard enough someone would drive me down in the van but I'm not even sure if the van would make it. Then I can always fall back on my feelings that though it be nice to do the visit and the fire able-bodied I would do the visit for sure but mom would not really expect me to with my disability. I don't know if that's true but it's fun to say I think should more rather harp on one of the brothers are cousins to drive me down. Since having someone drive me down was not going to have to happen I'm going to visit a small graveyard/cemetery next to a bus stop I get off of here in Taylorsville. It's a small little cemetery , kind of cute but a full working cemetery with graves, grass, plastic flowers and a crematorium all across the community college. I know this is a copout but hey wheelchair guy.

No comments: