Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Garden Hoe!


It's finally hot I mean really hot flirtations with 90s which is great. The ground itself is finally warming which means it's time to plant something. When I moved here, to the apartments, in October I was a little concerned about plants and garden stuff. To be honest I thought I had pretty much just my type of gardening goodbye which was sad but I had a place to live. Now many months later, through a dark cold winter behold there is sunshine, very warm temperatures and you know what there is a garden spot here at the apartments!

Early on in one of the coffee socials that we have every Thursday morning I brought up the notion of wasn't possible to have a place to garden. The answer was yes but seemed like there was some politicking going on. I kind of put everything out of my mind until this week and I realized that spaces in the two garden boxes were being staked out like claims. I decided I would wait and see if all the spaces were taken. Spend a couple weeks so yesterday morning I stopped in and asked Jennifer about the garden spaces and she said that she and figured everyone who wanted a space had applied. It looks like only about three or four people took advantage of the opportunity. The best part was there seem to be lots of space left so I stuck my claim.

I have to admit I'm kind of excited. I realize I don't have really any gardening tools but that's okay I went across the street to the polygamist hardware store and purchased a small hand shovel. I came back in turned over little dirt I think the hand shovel work just fine. Now I have to find some plants that look like there hoping for a new home. There's a small nursery directly across the street from my apartment, there is also plants for sale at polygamist hardware. The problem with the nursery is the really good plants looks to me like there in the back which I really can't get to very easily but I might give it a shot.


When I was out by the planting space this afternoon will will the other apartment dwellers came by and said “Oh, I guess some of the folks couldn't wait to jump the gun” meaning she thought there had not been permission given to start the garden process – – which is not true. My neighbor quickly told me that she wasn't interested in doing any garden this year because last year was such a trauma. Some people getting preferential treatment over others, some people started the project but abandoning their growths in the middle of summer. I kind of tuned her out but started thinking wow did I get myself involved in a political hot potato? Oh well. I'm going to dig, plant and coax my plants to grow and hope for the best with everything else.

No comments: