Thursday, May 18, 2017

Seems Wrong


I'm conflicted. I'm not really sure quite how to proceed. I've written before about the Thursday morning coffee social here at the apartment complex. I have to admit I've come to enjoy half an hour to an hour we spend each Thursday morning just socializing. I didn't think I was going to really enjoy this event, I was going just because management wanted me to go so I thought was a good idea. I know it's sort of hosted by the cause I social worker here at the facility but I like her and she is genuine and I want to please her so by participating this is a way of pleasing her I believe. So, it's her coffee social so I go. But wouldn't you know it I've grown to like the other participants quite a bit. I know this is just a click, I've noticed that a lot of folks here do not go nothing is because it is a click. Some reason I got accepted I don't know why the other folks don't participate. Anyway, as always in my life everything seems to change after a bit like this that's the lesson that life is nothing but change.

I don't quite remember but when I first started attending these meetings//socials it was just coffee and talking then they started making a meal out of it not every week but sometimes. Sometimes they actually have a full breakfast once anyway. And it's just not what I joined for custom caught in this eternal weight loss paradigm. So I don't take part in muffins, donuts I may snag a cookie or two if they are available and one of the participants likes to make homemade bread and bring a hot loaf to the meeting and these I will take one piece though I feel like I'm shooting myself but when I do.But now a new changes happening or at least it seems like to me. There's this guy from an organization/private business called Creekside health care who has been attaching himself to the social often on. Lately he's been actually bringing all the accoutrements for waffles. His programs: waffles for wellness which is kind of a contradictory concept when you think about it. The beginning of the month they announce that this was going to happen and it was going to happen at 10 o'clock on Thursday. Well the social group begins at 930 and usually goes to 1030. It just felt like the guy from Creekside was into loping on the folks here at the apartment complex. So I resorted grousing roundabout private enterprise Taking advantage of the gathering to push their wares on us. Luckily I have been to verbal about the whole thing but still kind of rubs me the wrong way. Then I remembered that when he does come he drags around a nurse who does blood sugars, blood pressures, oxygen mass at no charge except for having my social cut short. I kind of like the idea of giving my blood pressure and stuff taken for your charge without having to go into my healthcare providers office. And I guess I appreciate Creekside for doing this but I also know that Creekside is keeping tabs on everyone in using this whole function of some sort of outreach effort. Which I fully appreciate I was in private nonprofit industry my whole life I know it's got to show up in the monthly reports quarterly reports and year-end reports. I appreciate that. I even like the Creekside guy. He's got a good feeling about him like he really cares.


So I'm conflicted. Is it such a bad deal to offer this service to seniors? They don't seem to mind but then again do they even know any better. And is it such a bad deal that this guy is able to get all these people for his year-end report just because he tags on to the end of our coffee social. Am I cutting my nose off in spite of my face (Am I even saying that cliché correctly?).I don't know just seemed wrong.

No comments: