Saturday, May 20, 2017

Living Traditions




Finally, looks like the sun is coming up stay for a while maybe even warm-up the city a little bit which would be just great as far as I'm concerned. I'm sleepy today I stayed up late last night when I was just about ready to hit the sack friend texted me on Facebook which led to a conversation that went to about 12 o'clock. I think it's amazing, things you can get into it night especially when you're not prepared for it. Still the encounter was fun. However, today I am paying the consequences.

I checked my mail this morning. Spent a couple days and I was pleased to find a copy of the Disc from, Tantor Books Pushing Ice disc eight to replace the disc I lost somewhere in the apartment. I'm sure any day now that disc is going to show up. But anyway, I got the replacement disk and now I'm going to head down to the library to drop it off before anything else goes wrong. Not that I was planning to but I'm also going to stop off at Living Traditions, a fair downtown at the city/County building. Years ago in another life in another job I used to have to go to Living Traditions and have a table there to give away information highlighting the agency I worked with. Living Traditions is a festival highlighting different cultures living in Salt Lake County or maybe even Utah but it's also a platform where private nonprofit organizations in the city and state can provide information as well as raise money for their organization. Over the years with given out water on a rainy days and had a fairly successful cotton candy operation. Truth be told, we never made any money at Living Traditions and finally we stopped going altogether when so few people stopped at the table we figured it was not worth the energy we put into the operation. Now however 10 or 20 years later I am looking forward to rolling through the events with a bizarre fondness.


I have written about Lori Brock before. She has been a compatriot of mine for the past 30 years. She is a true artist, writer and actor. I've written about her before in this blog so looked up. Had coffee with Lori yesterday and it was a good event but what I appreciated was her encouragement of me to write. She was able to frame me in such a way that I could see myself as a writer which amazes me. She left me with a desire to write by encouraging me to talk about my inability to write, lack of enthusiasm to write our lack of self-confidence to write. Somehow, Lori pulled a rabbit out of a hat and pumped me full of enough self-confidence to consider writing something new. Our old writing collective is considering meeting the first week in June to go over new materials. I don't know if it will be able to pull everything together by then – – but it is mandatory if we show up we must have new materials – – I will see what I can do. I'm still excited about such a thing. I have not been there for a very long time.

No comments: