Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Candy Woes





I strived for years during adolescence to play the accordion. I don't know the story of how the accordion got our house but the accordion sat in its green box in a closet just off the hallway in our house. I don't know why I got chosen to play this instrument. It must've been something I said that I don't remember the accordion burning a desire within me to learn to play. I can only assume that my mother had some wish for me to play the instrument. The fact that I failed at the piano should have been enough to keep me away from the keyboard. However, every Thursday afternoon mom drove me and my recording to my lesson. She would also give me a quarter which I would use for purchasing five cents Hershey bar with almonds and a bottle of clench and then pocketing the rest of the quarter which was a dime.



The junior high I attended mascot was a hornet, we were called the East Hornets. Right next to our junior high was a student hangout, hamburger joint called the Hornets Nest. I went through period her every morning after getting off the bus I went into the Hornets nest and ordered a cherry coke, maple bar and a Hershey chocolate bar with almonds, for a quarter. Hershey bar was a fair sized chocolate bar. I love that chocolate bar. It cost a nickel.



Nowadays if I'm lucky and the market has a sale going on I can get the same chocolate bar for maybe $.75 if I'm really lucky. Usually cost more than a dollar for one chocolate bar! I suppose the good side of this argument is that less candy bars will be because of its cost. Yesterday when I was at the market while picking up a few things I needed to happen to come across a row of Hershey bars are what Hershey bars. They were actually a package of five Hershey bars with almonds. Little packages of candy bars are offered in the dollar package that breaks down to $.20 a candy bar. I know this is not the deal in fact it's just another way to rip you off but I couldn't help myself. Not that the candy bars them self were cute, which they are that was the cost of one candy bar $.20 today when purchased for candy bars in 1964. The one dollar without the 20 candy bars. Unbelievable. I have to purchase a bag just to convince myself to look candy bars for real and they are. Just a bite-size well maybe too little bites. I was just happy to buy chocolate for under a dollar. I doubt these candy bars will really catch on or maybe they will but for just a second every time I open windows look candy bars pop it in my mouth and taken back to a musical instrument that is essentially a piano on my chest or walking into the Hornets Nest to the strains of I Want To Hold Your Hand and searching for my quarter.

No comments: