Monday, December 11, 2017

Christmas Miracle


I'm a great believer in Christmas miracles. I believe everyone has at least one Christmas miracle during the Christmas season. They may not realize the Christmas miracle is there miracle what happens and true one has to look deep, sometimes, to see the miracle. I have at least one Christmas miracle per year and maybe just maybe today was my miracle for this year.

One of my best friends is going through some real challenges in her lifethis Christmas season. We've been spending a lot of cyber time texting the last couple months. My friend instructs that one of the local colleges and now she's off for holiday break. Today, we figured we would have coffee and maybe lunch. The coffee shop is across the street from where I live and very easy access for me it's just a matter of driving my chair out the back door across the parking lot to the gate across the street and there. A coffee was at noon. I have enjoyed my apartment this morning trying to be productive. I washed dishes, checked the mail and were a couple word problems.

I headed over to the coffee shop about 11:50 noon. I was just about to cross the intersection when without warning a church stopped his forward momentum. My power chair stopped entirely! I thought maybe I'd hit a bump and inadvertently stopped my power chair that has been known to happen, not necessarily with this chair but other chairs the land have but this chairs begin to act fairly squirreling the last couple days. I'm not really brought this to the attention of anyone in particular because I'm planning on getting some more work done on my chair very shortly as soon as my insurance comes through. There I was stuck in front of the Exxon station with a chair that would not move. Currently Salt Lake is going through a major inversion. It's colder that has to be here in the valley floor because the direct sunlight is being diverted by all the particle matter in the air. Thank goodness today I wore sweater with a T-shirt underneath. I was carrying my heavy hood on my lap just in case I might need added protection. I cannot believe I chair had failed me again. I was torn between: one of my people like my brother, cousin or even one of my friends who have not seen for a great while. Of course besides those just mentioned I have the option of dialing 911 and hopefully getting someone from the fire department down the street. I chose the fire department down the street everyone else is working. My friend was at the coffee shop waiting for me I called and let her know I was having problems she came out to assist me.

I wasn't freezing but I can tell I was cold and I better do something for something better be done quickly. It was necessarily quickly but some a member of the unified fire departments arrived. We disengage the clutches on my chair and the guy pushed me all the way back when apartment my friend joined us.

Luckily, I have my trusty dusty back up chair. My back up chair is a bitch. It's a little too big for me so it offers no support to my back and so I'm quite twisted and slumped in the chair but you know what? I'm so thankful to have a back up chair and at least some form of mobility. I think the batteries in this chair are pretty bad the tender deplete quickly. I don't think I will go to my meeting tomorrow at assist just because of the inversion and this power chair and the pain that causes my body.

So, you ask, what is the Christmas miracle here? The miracle is the chair breakdown happened in broad daylight, in the middle of the day less than a block from my home and did not happen late at night, one of the all by myself and in relatively great danger. I was with people who like me and the support system which watched out for me and got me to a place where I was safe, warm and in control. Home. I called my durable medical vendor can they set the truck to my apartment about 6 o'clock tonight and collected my chair which I think will be worked on tomorrow. A true Christmas miracle happened today and I will not deny this miracle this true Christmas miracle.


No comments: