Wednesday, December 27, 2017

The Canadians


I love Canadians. I have to love Canadians my mother was Canadian and my brother is Canadian. I even love Canadian whiskey much rare that I ever have access to Canadian whiskey. I know why my mother is Canadian. My mother should have been Utahahn, USA but because of some unfortunate circumstances or maybe fortunate my grandparents migrated to Canada just before my mother was born therefore my mother was a Canuck. My brother story is still murky to me. My brother the Canadian was just five years older than I was adopted in the my family just as I was. Supposedly, my brother is French-Canadian. Oh, Ross is French-Canadian. Why, my mom went to Québec to find my brother I will never know unless I get lucky with the Ouija board can talk to my mom get the straight truth.

Canadians have this mythology of being placid and laid-back. I cannot say this was true for my mother or my brother. My mom I can understand she was just a US citizen born outside of the border but my brother the French-Canadian came from French Canada and should've had the plasticity of the breed. The only thing I can identify him be in Canadian by is the way he used me as a hockey puck. I spent my days trying to avoid the wrath of an older brother if not wrath bizarre humor. Now that we are adults I like having him around when he can be around. It is in Idaho I live in Utah and perhaps that's best.

Today was the Christmas/holiday celebration for the private nonprofit direct confrontation group I belong to DRAC. I have identified DRAC in other posts in this blog. Today was a potluck with DRAC providing the main dish I E ham. There was a weird macaroni salad that I refused after great efforts to push the salad on me. They have some really nice roles which I figured was meant to be sandwiches with the ham which I used for that purpose. However there were no potato chips and I wish had brought at least one bag of chips. Usually they are good about having lots of chips but not today. There are all kinds of desserts of course even a cheesecake but no chips. I was late getting to the event when I was stopped by law enforcement who had roadblocks to the building. They were firetrucks in the parking lot and a lot of guys just milling around. It was a gas leak and they were not and let me pass until it was safe.


When it was safe, I guess it was safe law enforcement and emergency vehicles just drove away I joined the group. The ham had been picked over but there is enough left for a good sandwich I mingled and took my break and a break came and headed home I had made an appearance and that's what I wanted to support my buddy Dick, again who I've written about in this blog in earlier posts. I will not even talk about the bus driver who would not board me because he said his wheelchair stations were full but there is something else going on and he just drove off. When I got to Murray Central Station I jumped the 54 and got off at Redwood Road.Usually the 217 is right there to pick this up but not today. We're going to have to wait as I waited I looked out over the lonely junior high sports field. Lovely in the midst of winter break. Way in the distance I could see a gaggle of Canadian geese grazing in the field of I'm sure grass and soggy Cheetos. It was pretty interesting I marveled at how they found this place for so high a flight zone. I wondered if there was some bird channel that outline the best places to layover during their huge flights. I counted 11 geese which I thought was kind of odd but the more I thought of it would make sense someone has to be the odd man at the point of the flying the on these magnificent fowls take to the air. But I noticed one of the geese seem to be having a hard time. He was actually aggressing other birds of his group. Wings up head down charging that one group than the other. The other birds would lazily jump out of the way. Obviously this Canadian goose was not being very Canadian. Perhaps had school been in session the geese if it even landed there would have been pushed to acting out but there has not been anybody in that yard for more than a week. This goose was given the rest of the gaggle a bad name if not for his homeland as well. I watched this event for some time grateful to having a diversion to engulf the time I had to wait for the bus but finally the bus did come and I did go wondering what the issue was with this one Canadian goose.

No comments: