Saturday, December 30, 2017

Every Penny Counts


It is the end of the year and their seems to be a general reckoning of things financial. I noticed this first a couple weeks ago I received a windowed envelope from RGH Inc. The envelope felt like a bill and the envelope look like a bill but something inside me told me the envelope contained something else. And sure enough there is a check inside for $13.75! Seriously, $13.75 one round of two $14? For some reason it was important to the exact. Whatever RGH it is important to be exact to the penny. $13.75. It seemed I remembered at the time I received this and all that I knew the company which was refunding me me for something. I think it was some kind of insurance overpayment or something. But I received $13.75 not a penny more and not a penny less.

Yesterday, I checked the mail. I check the mail every day the mail is supposed to be delivered. Sometimes like during the hang time(search “hang time” for exclamation offered another blog entries for the time between Christmas and New Year's) I will let the mail go unchecked a couple days. This time is at the end of the month nothing gets delivered, it seems except, bills. But I figured checking the mail was as good an excuse as any to honor down the front of the building to see who's hanging out in the common area. It might be enjoyable to find someone to talk with. There is only one piece of mail in my box yesterday, a windowed envelope. This windowed envelope was from Express Scripts my main pharmaceutical provider. I got into this program when still married, my wife was smart and ordered our trucks to the mail for three months at a shot. I would get a load of medications at a very economical price. I knew it was not a bill and when I checked the windowed envelope sure enough it was another check, and end-of-the-year check this time five dollars. Five dollars! I was surprised no extra change white $5.03 $5.92 maybe Express Scripts was a company that actually rounded up unlike the previous check. My ex really is smart.

Now I have two checks combined is really almost not worth the effort to go to the bank to cash. I guess I could try and cash the checks at the market but I can't think you might think I was trying to scam them. I mean really under the risk being, defrauding a local market for $18.75. That's just a little more than popcorn and drink my local theater. In fact, the reason I have not cashed the checks at least the first check is that the amount is so inconsequential I keep forgetting the pack it with my bag. Maybe tonight after I finish this post I'll take both checks and put them in my backpack to cash when I remember they are there. I did have an instant flash of idea just now. What will happen if I chose to endorse attacks and submitted the checks with my monthly rent which will be due on Tuesday. Nothing else that would be entertaining to see what the manager would do.


The days are getting longer with each of the spin of the earth. Of course one cannot discern the difference yet but it is happening. These checks seem inconsequential but they are checks and they represent spending capital regardless of how small the amount and maybe that's my lesson everything counts.

No comments: