Friday, December 01, 2017

Assist, Inc.Shakedown Open house


How did it get to be the end of another week? Sometimes I am alarmed at how quickly the weeks seem to fly by. In two months I will be 67 I don't know why but this terrifies me. Today is also the first day of December. Today is the Assist, Inc. Annual holiday open house, This is the organization on which I serve on the citizens advisory committee/board. This of course is a volunteer board one that I like being part of. I used to really enjoy the annual open house. I was always impressed with their outlay of alcohol and food. People went to this function and seemed genuinely happy. There were a lot of city and county officials mostly from the housing sector and some from the governmental finance sector as well. I talk about transportation a lot but I talk about my career with independent living/state but I was also heavily involved in housing. Part of my position of the developing in the house inside bus to work with consumers with disabilities assist them find affordable and accessible housing the oversight at position was to work with state County and city officials (statewide ) To bring about more affordable and accessible housing. So these are my people, housing people. I worked with the Executive Director of this organization quite a bit over the years Roger,as well as their housing engineer DavidI guess I was closer to David then to Roger.

In the past, when I was employed, I attended these open houses as part of my job. Identified my time as community involvement in the cultivation strong housing resources for people with disabilities. Roger retired last year and this is the first open house with the new director – – Jason. I must say the open houses are not quite the same. As Jason begins to put his imprint on the agency or organization it becomes somewhat easy to judge his direction against Rogers. All architects, don't seem to be one of the mandates are qualifiers for the director of Assist. Jason was much younger than Roger and Jason is also the local culture and Roger was not. I believe there's a local culture was to put a descriptor on Roger that would be that he was of the world and that would be true. Rogers well-traveled and spends a lot of time in Europe on vacations. Roger had a certain level of sophistication. Jason is young even though it's been an architect for some time he still comes off as young. As a Mormon Jason definitely fits in with a large portion of the local population. Jason is wholesome and it shows pink cheeks and is always is happy. You can help but like Jason. He's fresh, he has ideas which are quite unique.

I spent a couple hours this morning with my friend Lori before she went to work then returned to my apartment and washed clothes and waited for the time I needed to catch the bus and train into town. I make good time and good connections. I'd like to have been to Assist earlier But had to dry my load twice. When I got to the office there some kind of presentation going on. Different members of the staff were giving presentations are no idea how long these presentations have been going on. It will offer about 10 minutes after I arrived may have been longer. Jason finally ended the presentation by showing two checks one check made out for $250 But would only be signed if enough donations were given by those present to reach a certain number I think which was $250. A small church like building had opened doors and Jason challenged folks to donate to the local church to see if assessed can earn the extra $250. This is an old public radio fundraiser tactic. It just seemed tacky to me especially in light of previous open houses from Christmases past. Quite frankly I was a bit embarrassed for my friend David and Assist Incorporated. It's the last private nonprofit I would've thought would use such tactics to raise money. I should not be so harsh on Jason – – It had to be Jason's idea, Jason is the only new variable in the equation.



No comments: