Thursday, December 13, 2018

Christmas Luncheon… Not!



It's Thursday and of course, that means it's coffee social at 9:30 AM. As a rule I enjoy coffee social in fact I usually look forward to the gathering of the old birds and me. But lately I think I'm getting a little bored with the group … kind of. Perhaps it might be because of the sophomoric feeling I'm getting with the group. There is a definite core group and a really don't see any other folks. Some of the folks, I think our beginning to dodge the group. I hope it's not because of me but it would not surprise me. Perhaps I'm getting so comfortable the group I'm beginning to lash out at those that don't agree with me politically or religiously. Oh I'm not an adult about the whole thing, I'm passive aggressive as hell which makes me wonder if this is what is happening.

I have been here since the election the last presidential election when the bully president got in. I've kept my feelings fairly to myself. However, I will be the first to admit that I often get sucked into discussions before I realize what's going on. That's what happened with one of the ladies who attend our coffee social or used to attend the coffee social. A couple of weeks ago, I was not intentionally trying to attack this person but I made an offhand comment that kind of derides the current administration and this little old lady from somewhere in Europe totally when I will always support the administration. The other participants in the group work long and hard at avoiding anything that resembles a personal standing. That's cool, I totally understand in fact I try to do this myself but still there's something in me that perks up when something my way comes. Sometimes I feel like I'm the protagonist in a Steven King novel. Oh well.

Yes, this is a build up to my blog for today. I was at the coffee social this morning and discussions began regarding tomorrow's Christmas luncheon provided by management and property owners and residents at the apartment complex. Everyone is excited… Except me and I'm sure there's others but it feels like I'm the only one. The talking about doing white elephants, this one darling lady from Hawaii is doing the 12 days a Christmas with replacement lyrics from the island. She even has 12 handmade cards that she wants residents to lift up when the different lyrics are sang. To me it sounds pretty dorky but I ask he did not say that but when asked which card I wanted to lift up I dropped the bomb indicating that I probably would not be attending the luncheon. I wish I had a ready excuse but I didn't maybe one will come up. Of course everyone looked stricken when I indicated I was not probably going to attend the luncheon but some mean side of me working in my dark heart delighted at their response. I actually attended last year's luncheon and I came away very unimpressed. I hope to not make the same mistake twice.

No comments: