Friday, December 07, 2018

Open House




It's going to be cold out there today and I just assume not have to go out but some things you just have to do what you want to or not. It's the holidays which means a lot of the agencies and programs that idea with have open houses which used to go by the name of “Christmas party” but that no longer is the case. All festivities of the season now go by more fastidious but generous title. A traditional safe title is “Open house”. Who knows what this really means? But today Open House means the traditional Assist, Incorporated Christmas party.

Assist Inc. continues to be in transition actually Jason the new director is no longer knew he's been there for almost 2 years. It seems less to me but told me the other day when I was at the weekly meeting. Okay. I've been going to these holiday functions often on for the past 30 some years. The first Friday in December starts at four in the afternoon. I assume this time was first established (and still is the best time) to grab not only construction professionals and other kind of professionals that work with housing i.e. plumbers, roofers, carpenters But also other professionals like housing coordinators, directors of other not private nonprofit organizations and support staffs in various city, county, state and other officials the agency works with throughout the year. When I was working and what of the people just mentioned this is a great time not only could I leave my office early on a Friday afternoon in the name of work (attending this conference in is definitely work-related) but enjoy spending the time visiting with Other folks I work with throughout the year. The best part was the old director of this organization, Roger, was ago Catholic boy so there was all kinds of booze at the open house. Plus, other folks would bring by bottles of wine and even hard liquor from time to time. It was great, you can actually catch a buzz on worktime. Now, I attend the function as a member of the advisory board to this great organization. Granted, I would still be welcome from my previous experience and history with this organization but now I have a reason, a real reason, to come drink wine eat cheese and play like I know it's going on. I'll be able to trash the president and all his organizations that are counterproductive to the overall goal of this organization. I will be able to do all this in the space of an hour and still catch the 5 o'clock train home feeling like I've gotten something accomplished on this cold December afternoon

Now however 4 PM is like way late in the afternoon for an old guy no longer working and one who does not drive is on vehicle. This means staying somewhat focused all day and then leaving in the middle of the afternoon to ride the train downtown. The giving up of an afternoon is actually actually not so bad. I will dress warm in layers and easily get to the train and then to library and Assist Inc. is right across the street from the library. Socialize, hobnob and be seen and that's it. Easy duty, lite duty. I will most likely miss my afternoon radio show but that's okay I will catch it on podcast later if I really want to. I got a go dress in layers now. If I'm lucky I can get downtown in an hour before the open house begins, and spend some spend time at the library looking erudite.

No comments: