Sunday, December 02, 2018

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas




All day today the snow seem to be falling. Not a lot of snow as far as accumulation goes all, enough to make things a little spooky if you're old and walking around and probably enough to make driving a little spooky but really not piled high which is fine by me. This coming week I only have about two meetings I need to be out on the service for in both destinations are really well-maintained as far as snow removal goes.

However there is snow on the ground that means the outside temperatures are going to plummet I may just have to give up my goal of wearing shorts through the winter and dig out my long pants at least when I have to be out on the system. I have my foul weather gear in place, I found my gloves in when my red jackets my stocking caps and scarves so I'm set. Like I said, I really don't want to have to wear socks in such but we'll see. And wise this all-important you may ask? Why am I seeming to focus on this so much? Well the answer is because to begin the look a lot like Christmas, trite and cliché as that might sound it's true. I can feel myself riding around the spiral of the drain circling down to the Christmas season. I was just talking to a friend I have in Amsterdam and she said the day was the first day of Advent. I guess Advent is a big deal in Europe and probably here for those religious groups. I never really got into it was the big Mormon thing that I can remember. Anyway, people are now seriously beginning to celebrate the season.

Today listing to NPR they did a short story on how people suffering in the burned out areas of California and folks suffering the aftermath of the floods and other parts of this country might be celebrating Christmas with very little space or area to celebrated in. This got me thinking why not? I've not really done anything for Christmas the past two Christmases I've been out on my own. Partially not really feeling in the mood and just trying to transition and partially just not thinking about the season to awfully much. But the NPR piece gave some good suggestions as far as celebrating/decorating one's living space even if the quarters are kind of cramped. I didn't think I had a place for a tree, and I really don't but that doesn't mean I can't decorate my door or other areas of my living space. I kind I have a bookcase which could be laced with globes/bulbs/lights and whatever and make a festive presence for me to enjoy through this holiday season. I do not want to go overboard but I do want to celebrate the season. I've already missed the Messiah concert. One of these days/years I'm going to make a presence at such an event. I have my music and my well to sing and to make a joyful noise of the season.

No comments: