Wednesday, December 19, 2018

D liver D letter D sooner D better...







There is probably no place more dreaded of public institutions over the holiday season then the federal post office. And you will notice I said federal post office I'm not sure about how the private postal type carriers function but I don't believe there is the same amount of frustration as the postal service of the United States government. I say this because like the driver's license bureau are Social Security office these are places where the public has to go regardless of their status in life. Luckily places like the drivers license bureau or Social Security you go just the minimum amount of times during a lifetime whereas the post office it seems at least once a year if not more but Christmas time for sure.

For instance today I made the trip to the post office on Redwood Road at about 2100 S. really not a bad trip all things considered since the bus picks me up right outside my apartment complex and it's a straight line all the way into the post office. My friend who lives in the Netherlands, Elske. She is the person I met through the Internet. She is the artist anyway I have been visiting with her via text messaging and I asked her for her address so I can send her a Christmas card. Of course the Christmas card is easy the real challenges how much does it cost to send a card across the ocean to the Netherlands? I mean it's bad enough trying to send a regular letter (as I do a couple times a month) and to figure out whether or not the post they just changed and how much postage is just for domestic parcels. But across the water that's a whole different trip and then a card with a couple bookmarks on the inside so the cards kind of poochi. I had to Santa Claus stamps left and then I put up Janis Joplin and they stamp of the astronaut that got blown up the lady astronaut and another stamp that I can't remember right now but altogether came to three bucks worth of stamps.

I knew it was going to be a wait after all it is the post office and it is Christmas. And there was a line and I got it. Like I said if you got a mail something you got a go to the post office. The day was surprisingly warm for December. There are actually overweight women there with tank tops and their coats tied around their waists, your business guys in suits each carrying four or five boxes and always some weird guy with literally shopping carts full of boxes he is trying to send. The postal workers are doing the best they can against the onslaught of humanity. Some are wearing Santa beards are just weird beards of Christmas. Others have the Santa hats on and are all working as fast as they can in the bureaucratic sort of way. I am trying not to run in the people at the same time trying to keep the line moving as much as the line ever moves. We inch along. Finally someone comes out from the back someone who's definitely management but not management dressed. To turn Levi's and a sweatshirt like most of the other staff. She asks the general group if we have a certain grouping of needs that she can take care of but no one responds. Their eyes are glazed over and they just wait for the next person to cycle through. The lady spies me and comes over and asks what I need. I produce my letter and ask your I just wanted to know if I have enough postage. She brightens and says I can help you with that. She takes the letter actually ways it in our hands like she knows what she's doing, like she's weighing a fish. She looks at me to ask the stamps all six of them and says “oh hell yes you got enough” to not inform me that I could have done letter on half the stamps that's okay as long as the letter gets there to the Netherlands so far far away.

I turn around and leave thinking to myself maybe I'll go to the liquor store that is such a fun place to be during the Christmas season… All the lines there happy full of Yuletide cheer our soon to be

No comments: