Sunday, December 16, 2018

Yippee Ki Yay...



Image result for Die Hard
I watched Diehard today, not the battery, the movie with Bruce Willis. I don't know why really except for I knew that I had to be, I got to the movie along with all the others in the series earlier this summer. It's not that I love Diehard. I liked the movie enough when I first saw it however I was quite shocked about the amount of profanity in the film and the violence but I also saw the document as a Christmas movie. I know that sounds weird but the movie came out in 1988. I thought sure it was in not December releases but actually was in July by cell count is a Christmas movie since the circumstances of the movie And over Christmas eve.

I am so lucky to have been born when I was right smack dab in the middle of the last century. Things are just always beginning where I was involved it seemed. I guess there's always been Christmas movies I. E. Miracle 34th Street, White Christmas, Scrooge and Scrooged and of course Holiday Inn to name just a few. I remember when I was about 12 United Artists released the first Bond film, Dr. No And it seemed to me after that the next number of years I don't quite remember there is always a James Bond feature released around Christmas time.

Thinking back there is nothing I enjoyed more than to be all bundled up in my winter coat and gloves and sending in a warm theater with container of popcorn, icy cold coke/cherry root beer and a complete box of red twists licorice. Settling back when the film started and be taken away by the movies magic. Every once in a while during the feature I would resurface to reality and then pleasantly think all things Christmas that was going on around me at that moment smile and slide back into the movie.

Of course as I've gotten older – – away older now – – I feel the caliber of the movies it changed quite a bit as they try to make larger and larger box office smashes Christmas. Some of the Bond films took place over Christmas but they summer got away from that as well. Many of the box office smashes were good (which were released during the Christmas season) but they were not about Christmas per se. What a great time to have such great technology that allows someone like me to have access to all of the great films in the form of DVDs, videotapes, or whatever form of technology allows a person to have access to immediate/On Demand enjoyment of the season. Today I felt like watching Bruce Willis go up against the euro white trash In the Nakatomi tower in the fictional 1988 Los Angeles. Diehard was perfect for my 2018 Christmas viewing desire. Now I'm considering digging out my copy of Holiday Inn and letting Crosby and Astaire go at it of one more season of joy. Maybe I'll even try to find Scrooged with Bill Murray On demand somewhere and really enjoy the season.

I am well probably dodging any new movies that are being released right now which has anything to do with Christmas. There's a couple romcoms I might consider taking in who knows maybe even on Christmas day Since I have nowhere else to go and what better way to enjoy the holiday then to sit back ensconced in the movie theater wrapped in my winter jacket with a box of popcorn, a box of red vines a Coca-Cola/shared root beer and warm thoughts of Christmas pasts.



No comments: