Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Rainy Day Draw



The day started off relatively nice I had great hopes for the acceptable weather day. I actually woke up somewhat excited at the anticipation of drawing class. The trip in to the college was awkward still but not as bad as the first day with the portfolio. With the clipboard and for or four pieces of paper I took out of the tablet the portfolio was much lighter blue bit easier to handle but still quite awkward particularly with the wind. The clouds were dark and menacing and I totally believed the rain would blow over.

The assignment this meeting was to read chapter 4, if I was still in my psychology study days I would say it was about Gestalt and filling in concept. I'd read this chapter before my book came in the mail last week. I didn't remember much except the upside down drawing exercise. That was part of our assignments this meeting. We had to finish last week's assignment the cattle skull and then worked on this week's assignment the upside down drawing. I must admit I was a bit skeptical going into the class not really thinking the upside down drawing would make that much difference. However, I was wrong and I raise myself as I went through the exercise came out something very much looking like the image I was copying. We worked on the project for at least 45 minutes which I feel I pretty much had completed as much as I was capable. He concluded the class by having us take our renditions with us to finish “finish” I don't know what else I could do accept clean the drawings up with an eraser. I actually did some rework on the cattle skull/Bulls skull. I will go through the motions and count the time.

Each session we have to report on how much time we spent with our sketches over the time away from class. I am just amazed at these folks putting in four and five hours of sketch time! However, I did sit behind Abby in class and watched her work on the upside down lady and she really did seem to be attending to minutia that I never would in her rendition of the image. So I guess these guys are truthful. Interestingly, again, how important the grade in this class seems to be for these kids just amazing. I'm amazed when I hear the instructor talk about what'll be docked as far as grades and the classwork. I guess as a person auditing it's hard for me to get freaked out about how much time I'm spending on each exercise.

Though the rain was not torrential coming home there was rain to the point that I dabbled at the library where I had gone to set up my E-portfolio account. The menacing dark clouds which had filled the sky were now releasing their sorrows. I waited for the rain to slack when it did I made my way over to the student center where I bought a few more things and some lunch. I just want to get home to enjoy my apartment on this cold and rainy day so I made it to the bus stop and caught the 217. So far I'm enjoying the class.…

No comments: