Tuesday, May 07, 2019

S D I M




It is the seventh day of May that infamous first week in May in the book and film of the same name. I thought about streaming the film, after all for only a $1. 99 on YouTube. I've developed this weird trait of watching or reading (if possible) material specific to certain days. It's a weird form of celebration I guess. Groundhogs Day on February 2, Scrooged anytime during the Christmas season and there's a bunch of other films I like to celebrate the occasion with the film of the book.

Seven days in May was published in 1962. I was 11 I found it in the public library probably 1964 about the same time is going through my James Bond and Napoleon Solo eras. Somehow, I had found the boy see Carnegie library and I had began borrowing books. I don't know why I picked SDIM the volume was really one of the first adult pieces of fiction I ever tried to read. The volume is also a fat book by my standards. The book seemed huge in looking back I'm surprised I had the literary kahuna's to even try to tackle such a beast. But I didn't, and on top of that reading the book was easy. Really, one of the first books I ever read that the cliché “I couldn't put it down” was appropriate. All I had read the James Bond/Ian Fleming novels, Moby Dick and couple of the other classics I struggled through but I made it and even Kurt Vonnegut's Cats Cradle was a struggle but I got through it. I even may be read it twice just to make sure I was getting the book right. But SDIM was altogether different. I couldn't wait to finish whatever I was doing so I could jump back into the book. It was summer, I remember, I was not the fastest reader but I think I finished the book in a week (one of the fastest book reads at ever done by then). SDIM really could've been the volume that hooked me into serious reading for pleasure.

I'm an adult now, supposedly, and I'm kind of spooked to be living in the times that we are living. Perhaps, I know too much these days. I mean this kind of tension, politically, is nothing new after all I was a major conspiracy theorist in my college days and like to play around in that sandbox even now every once in a while with my kids, when we all get together, but for some reason now when I look at what's going on politically on the worldwide stage as well as nationally I get uncomfortable and the little frightened and push that crap right out of my mind as much as I can choosing ignorance and desperation for some kind of bliss to get me through the day. I tried not to get too political in this blog y'all know that but with the idiocy which is going on at the highest levels of this country and others I have a hard time putting down to box for a 60-year-old movie that strikes a little too close to home…

No comments: