Thursday, May 23, 2019

Well Zip My Lip



I've been kind of groggy all day. I didn't sleep well last night, I awoke at one point And realized I was on the edge of the bed, on the very edge of the bed with the possibility of one or two of my legs falling off the bed and we all know what happens when that happens. It seems like I thought about draggy my legs back towards the center of the bed forever until I finally just threw back the covers and did that exact thing. This would've been a great day sleep in but I have class meaning I have to get up early.I'm surprised I did as well as I did finally decide to get up around 5:30 AM. The sounds early to me but I learned from last week when I waited till 6 AM that I just barely made it on time if I have to wait for the bus.

Bus drivers are weird if you ask me. Most of them are okay and I know that some have better days than others but I can always tell when the drivers going to be a problem luckily I learned to roll with most of the drivers now and try to let whatever they say go. This morning was a good case in point. I've got my art portfolio balanced on my foot pedals and legs. The driver pulls up and opens the door he's got one of those cold stares like I'm the last person he wanted to board on his bus. I'm trying to balance everything and having a bit of a time turning the corner past the turnstile. The driver demands that I slow my chair down and I'll make better progress. I can tell by his voice that he doesn't want any arguments since I was about ready to tell him the chair is down to its lowest point. I do a pantomime of something with my hands so that he figures I'm adjusting the speed. He fastens the back of my chair into the safety restraints but then seems miffed because he can't reach around my art portfolio and secure my front end then makes a statement that he can't reach my chair so he's not to do the front restraints – – which is fine by me I hate it when they do them anyway – – but he made it sound like a punishment for having too much stuff on my lap. All he also demanded that I turn my chair off, that seemed to be a big deal these days which I can certainly sympathize. I know I've ran over one too many toes and I'm sure with all the other folks using power chairs and getting on these buses the drivers have to take precautions. This guy was just in no mood for people today at all. There was another person in a wheelchair in the other station on the bus which caused me some consternation in turning my chair around. I wanted to instruct this dude on letting people in chairs know when one of the wheelchair stations are already taken. Had I known this I would've come on backwards to the bus making so much easier to get to the wheelchair station. This was not a good day for instruction

I informed the driver that I was just going to the committee college. It's just three blocks north of my bus stop and I figured I could deal with this guy until then and I did…

No comments: