Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Wheeling In The Rain…




Maybe it's just because I'm becoming an old man, I remember my dad rubbing my hands even in what I thought was in just semi cool wet weather. My dad wears gloves all the time during winter which I didn't really understand.

Yesterday was the second meeting of the drawing class at the community college. My class begins early at 8:00 AM and I ride the bus directly to the college from my apartment complex just nice. I thought about dragging out my hood to take with me for my trip in case of inclement weather but I was so and am so weirded out about having to drag my art portfolio with me which is so awkward that I just decided to leave any form of protection home. My ride into the campuses without event and I was glad to start class. The sky was dark and menacing but it a much attention. Even after class the skies have not yet opened up and I needed to get to the library at the community College to set up my what they call E folio account where I can post different items particularly artwork this account that the instructor can go in and check to see that I'm doing my assignments and how well I'm progressing.

It was after 12 noon that I finished my work at the library and realized that the skies had opened up and they were waves of rain hitting the sidewalk. At one time, weather phenomenon like this never bothered me. However today I decided to buy a small lunch there at the small cafeteria and wait for the rain to subside a level space and it did at which point they zoomed across the sidewalk and down the quad to the student union work a real cafeteria exists. I grabbed some coffee dry out with a waited for yet even more rain to stop And I must confess I even grabbed a hamburger combo! Way too many calories and way to greasy. I did not know it at the time that I ordered but it was a double patty burger and I never have happened almost made me sick in fact I only ate half the burger and brought it home for dinner later.

In a moment anxiety, totally desirous to get home, I sprinted from the student center with my art portfolio balanced on my head. Looked like a caricature of graduation. But I made to the bus stop but it was cold and rainy the winds added to the pain of the rain. I was cold and I was miserable in my hands need to be rubbed and I would had I not had to hold on to my backpack with one hand in my portfolio at the other and in my misery think of my father for the first time understood his pain in the rain in those days passed.

This morning I decided I was not going to suffer any more than I had to. I was going to figure out a way to get my hands on umbrella before once again facing the elements. I went down and spoke with the building manager to see if any umbrellas happen to be laying around in fact there was. One renegade was lying in the window of the management office had done so for a couple weeks. Jennifer walked over and picked it up and handed it to me and said should let me know if its owner asked which was good enough for me.…

No comments: