Friday, May 10, 2019

Thinking of Marty



About a year ago I had a posting where I mentioned my buddy Marty Blair or more formally Dr. Martin Blair a PhD type became acquainted with one is working for the state of Utah actually even before then. Marty was a big gun (I did not realize a bigger gun he was) at Utah State University up at Logan. Marty was over a program that had a lot to do with independent living, developmental disabilities and assistive technology and who knows what else? If the citation “downright friendly fellow” ever applied to any one person that I know it would be Marty Blair.

Marty took a particular liking to me, I don't know why, but he did. For one reason or another I was chair of the A T Council (Assistive Technology) and there was another counsel as well. As I said Marty was the director of the program funding these councils. In those days the Council met every month. I guess is Chair I was able to spend time with Marty more than many folks which was a real joy. Marty had a mother who lived in senior housing in downtown Salt Lake and we often talk about how she was getting along. I was impressed that Marty shared such intimate things with me. I have many memories of my friend Marty but the one that sticks with me most actually the two would stick with me most is one he chose me to interview for the NPR Story Corps program. For those that are interested check out the Story Core website at NPR. They drag a airstream trailer that's been fitted as a recording studio and people interview others of their choice. Marty chose me to interview these interviews are logged at the Library of Congress, often on I tried to find that interview but has yet the recording eludes me. I like to think I was the only one Marty chose but chances are he interviewed a number of folks. I'm sure there is some major cost in doing this after all NPR's private nonprofit and this project is a fundraiser I'm sure. The other event I fondly remember is, as chair of the A T Council I had to go to Washington DC to meet with our congressional delegation as both attend an assistive technology conference of some sort. Marty went as well. Actually it was Marty who met with the legislators and included me which was kind of fun. I was in a funky old manual wheelchair at the time. Really not a very good chair at all is trying to get fundraising going to get a replacement chair. But I do remember however is that Marty pushed me all over Washington DC just to explore. I've been to DC before but Marty probably went once a month at least during that time of his career. My goal was to find NPR headquarters. We never did find the facility but we had a good time searching.

Only four or five people in my life that I've not been family has spent time with me and Marty was one. He's left the state now, he's executive director for some sort of DD program up in Montana. He went from semi-big fish to big fish a lot less problems and I can't fault them for that. He's a good guy though really a downright friendly fellow…

No comments: