Monday, May 06, 2019

Snark,Snark Ugly Doll



I don't mean to be snarky in fact I prided myself at getting away from the snarky blog syndrome. You know those pieces unencapsulated rage that the writer puts down on paper or on the Internet about something that really irritates them. I get the feeling sometimes that snarkiness is what people like and blogs. I know when I first started my blog years ago I was snarky I was pest about designated “handicap” parking and not only the violators but the whole concept. I was also snarky about accessible bathrooms and how able-bodied folks loved to use the free accessible bathroom, always when I was a gigantic hurry. I also attacked public dining tables that were never high enough for a power chair or any chair to get under actually. And on and on and on. But I sort of got over that but I sort of also realized that people weren't that interested in my blogs anymore they like the snarkiness of the blog. I also found out that it takes a lot of energy to be snarky and to keep the snarkiness up day after day. Maybe I just grew out of my snarkiness I don't know or elected not to or the obvious snarkiness which exists in a very snarky world.

Yesterday however the snarky giant woke from a long nap. I was feeling pretty good yesterday morning as I woke to the sunshine and promise of a beautiful spring day with decent temperatures. I bopped around the apartment listening to NPR and generally enjoying the morning and was kind of intrigued with a review of the movie Ugly Dolls. The movie's main protagonist was a rapper which I found somewhat interesting. I know it seems a little bit self-indulgent because I went to the movies the day before but I'm figuring now… Just do it! I'm not getting any younger that's for sure and I seem to have the financial ability to do small things in the “now” so I just did it. On Sundays the bus service is lousy. On Redwood Road the 15 minute headways go down to one hour headways so it's best to check. I did check and I found the bus route time corresponded exactly what I needed for the movie it would get me to the movies five minutes before the movie was seated it was a sign. I checked around the apartment and had Tail end of the box of Cheerios which I wanted up and stuck my backpack along with some dried cherries and I thought about a can of soda but I decided I could afford the soda at the theaters.

Now this is my Snark, rant. I've noticed the last couple movies I've attended how the theater now is all into directing seed placement. Piss me off! What happened to the good old days of free choice?you know you pay for your ticket to get past the ticket guy you go in and sit down where you want. Now it's go through a five-minute song and dance with the ticket dunce as they make you choose the seat you going to be. Now you've got old farts like me can barely make up their mind what they want for breakfast let alone seating in a public arena. Then you've got some high school kid trying to pay social worker in assisting the senior to their ideal seating, or your neighborhood cholo buying tickets for his home hee again gang Bros in what used to take seconds now takes minutes it feels like ours as you watch the time click by your ability to purchase your popcorn and soda go down the tubes – – which is actually probably just as well leaving me to deal with what contraband I stuffed into my backpack. Seriously though. Now my healthcare person I believe is right on what she's saying this is “big brother” gently moving the minorities out of the white movie complex. I doubted her first but the more I thought about it she may be right. Couple weeks ago I thought maybe I'd buy my tickets I had the time then saw there was a $2-$5 charge on that privilege. I said screw that I can wait in line even if it drives you crazy. But is this the obvious discrimination/nondiscrimination tactic by white middle-class America to do a white only movie? Unbelievable.

If you have kids I might recommend Ugly Dolls. Very cute the musical. Does open to justify it on the concept of inclusion but that's a hard push. The movie does preach against perfectionism and that being ugly is okay… I'm confused…

No comments: