Friday, November 01, 2019

Searching for Elevation



I have not shared with you the latest in my ongoing quest to find that beautiful nights sleep we all long for especially as we age. Two nights ago as I was going to bed battling the covers and my spasticity as I flail and get my leg situated for the night I heard a menacing “crack” as I was adjusting the head of my bed to a proper height that I could read and enjoy the covers while I read. I managed to set up with the aid of the power bed but I wasn't sitting up quite right. I felt as if the function that raised the head of the bed so to gave out and I actually the button again and nothing happened and I could hear the screw mechanism, which raises the head of the bed and lowers that head of the bed slaving away but not catching on the device needed to raise the head of the bed. I quickly ran to the other functions of my pendant and the mechanism which raised and lowered the whole mattress platform worked fine and the mechanism which raised the foot of the bed was still engaging just not the head of the bed. As I listened to the screw spin I knew instantly the crack that I had heard was the plastic housing around the motor which ran the bed. I had heard this whining before almost exactly 2 years ago when this last happened. I knew the process so I wasn't freaked out. I knew that I'd be able to sleep, perhaps not very comfortably but really what was comfortable for me anymore. I just didn't know how challenging the next couple nights would be.

First thing Thursday morning I contacted an organizationALSC where I had purchased the bed (in all honesty Dianne purchased the bed while I was in rehabilitation). I called talk to the people gave them the information they needed spent almost $400 and the part should be in the mail. The contacted my brother who will make the fixes on the bed like he did the last time seemed happy to help. Now, just had to make it through the next couple nights. Last night was a challenge. I think I was over challenging myself. I did make it to bed at the usual time little bit before 11 PM and found it difficult to read but I read my 10 pages then tried to sleep. Sleep foxed me as I tried to wander into unconsciousness. It seems like I'm not able to sleep without raising the top of the bed. I knew this is bogus because I slept a great while without such a device before my stenosis. For 30 years I slept by Dianne with just a trapeze. I bounced around the bed quite a bit during the night finally eking out Two may be four hours of sleep. My neck hurt pride tried to prop my head up during the night. By morning when I actually woke – not realizing I'd fallen asleep – my head was on the flat mattress so this showed me I could sleep without elevating my head and this is what I plan to do tonight. I think as I continue to work this challenge I'll get better in fact probably showing myself that I could probably have done without having to order the part but having a working bed is just easier and a lot less painful. Luckily, I had the room on my credit card to put my 300+ payment for the motor now I just wait Wondering what each night will bring as I wait for the UPS guy to bring my sleep solution…

No comments: