Friday, June 11, 2021

Humble, I AM

 



My neighbor across the hall is a great person. She's 10 years older than me which means she really is elderly. I don't spend all my time watching out for her she doesn't need that.. In fact she is still driving which is much more than I'm able to do. But I try to be supportive where I can like yesterday she confided in me that she drove to pick up her hearing aids earlier in the day. She came back without her hearing aids seems that when she went to pick them up the hearing aids were double and cost what they quoted her. Nearly $3000! Who the hell has $3000 for this kind of a piece of technology. These devices are super important to her but she just can't do $3000. She showed me her paperwork and I could see how easily it would be to be confused. In fact I don't think there's anything there to be confused about I think this operation is bait and switch operation preying on seniors. Of course I jumped into my 211 role almost from habit with suggestions of calling the Utah senior ombudsperson as well as the Better Business Bureau and even may be calling 211 itself. I'm sure they've come up with other options since I left the organization however many years ago it was. Finally my neighbor reigned me in By telling me she was tired and have anyone is going to do anything for her is going to be her granddaughter, who I've been totally impressed with as far as acting as my neighbor's advocate. I'm sure is something needs to be done granddaughter will do it.


Today, I really haven't done a whole heckuva lot. I did go across the street to do some minor shopping and then forgot what I really went over for which is usually the case unless I sit down and actually write a list. Aside from that I've just been hanging around the apartment not really needed to go out anywhere in which and they would warm up more than it has. We're still getting over yesterday's low pressure front that wander through the area. Super hot temperatures are coming the next couple of days – – I'm so excited. Anyway, I was wandering through different offerings from YouTube and other video come ons that tend to invade my computer/handheld device these days. I finally clicked on an advertisement that's been dogging me for a couple of days. An advertisement for 18 Japanese pens. These are nice broad line pens the kind of like to use to address envelopes as well as sketch with. They offered to reprise and I usually just pass these up. I don't like feeling like a sucker. Well today I thought why not? Then I decided to send for a box of the pens was just 20 bucks I figured it would be nice to have a fresh supply especially since the one Japanese pen I have been using does not seem to be available anymore in the USA. So this pen,, if it is a goodpenMay just become my go to writing device, fingers crossed hopes are high. So I clicked the button, after scrolling through it seemed like 100 screens, and then suddenly I was shown the thing again and I just surmised that I hadn't clicked the button hard enough or So I clicked it again only did realize 45 minute later when I was checking my emails that I got a thank you for two orders of pens! I don't want to say I was befuddled and fell prey to a senior moment but in all honesty I have to probably admit I got confused by the multiple screens and offers. Just as well I was feeling pretty haughty from trying to be the all helping neighbor to a poor senior across the hall when in fact I AM the befuddled senior that needs help. I sent an email requesting that one of yours be deleted which I doubt anything will happen saw going to have to contact them directly if I care or dare and maybe I'll just have to deal with 18 pens… Oh well Christmas is coming and you know about my grandparents…


No comments: