Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Of Buses and Bikes

 




I'm not sure what I want to write about tonight. Do I want to write about the fact that no one at the assist, Inc. staff drove vehicles into work today or do I want to write about the little rooms the drivers on the buses have fashioned during the pandemic and how they always wash their hands after dealing with me and securing my chair with the tiedowns on the bus. So maybe I'll just have to write about both.


I think it's a driver thing that I don't see this happening systemwide unleased on my travels. There are some drivers, I feel, but still really hate to have to deal with people disabilities and specifically people in power chairs/wheelchairs and having to tie them down. Now as you know I would just assume them not timely download all – – the way it used to be in the old days – – some of the drivers will do the two point tiedown, some do three AND the rest do for point tiedown's. Of course the four point tiedown is driver securing the chair down on four points since Leah tiedown on each wheel are part of the chair front and back. It takes a while longer (which I think the driver resents which they get dinged if there over time limits). By this point time drivers realized that if they bitch and moan to the rider it could conceivably get back to the driver causing him or her grief. But since they can't verbalize and sometimes the act out their aggression by the way they slam things around and hufF and puff but the finisher is making this grand gesture to pump the giant gallon of hand sanitizer which is on each bus, with enough fluid to actually splash all around as they sanitizer hands. I'm sure the driver is not doing this intensely in the process is probably great for not spreading dreaded germs disease would just always record you feel a little uncomfortable to how well this guy cleans his hands after securing my chair. Interesting note and I wanted you guys to see this when the pandemic came out a little engineer types over at Utah transit Authority manufactured this door saying that goes between the driver and the rest of the vehicle. It's kind of like the driver get in the little room all his own. Probably great idea, it's kind of cute mature means a lot to the drivers even if the various transparent. I really do believe not only makes them safe from contagious passengers but gives the illusion of safety and possibly a management that cares I use the term illusion loosely very loosely.


Just a fast note that today was my fairly regular Assist, Inc. meeting. When I got there I was impressed by all the bicycles against the wall. After visiting with staff a minute or two they shared with me that nobody on staff drove their vehicles in the work today all of them came on bike. For some reason I just thought that was so cool, so European so assisting…

No comments: