Thursday, June 24, 2021

Rain Like Tears Of A Clown


 


Rain fell in Salt Lake Valley today the first time in over a month at least that's what the weather guy said I think it's longer. By standards of the East Coast in the southern United States and various other countries are rain didn't amount to much to us here in Salt Lake/Utah/the Western United States it's a big deal. We end the Utah area are in a drought. So far it's just a mini drought nothing compared to the dustbowl of the 1930s, and other droughts throughout history but this is our drought. We are feeling the results of global warming, too many people trying to use too little water irresponsibly like watering lawns into living monuments of shameful self-indulgence. It's not like I went out and rolled around in the rain with one arm outstretched and singing LDS hymns of Thanksgiving. I do have to admit however I was overcome with gratefulness to whatever phenomenon cause this water to fall from the sky. I've always really just accepted that there will be days of rain and days of heat and unbearable sunlight but there would always be days of rain at some point. The list last month with warmer than normal temperatures much earlier in late spring and early summer than ever before I'm forced to wonder if in fact we may all be running out of water.


There have been news reports more more frequently showing the water levels drastically dipping in the dams and reservoirs of Utah which is important in love itself for citizens of Utah but a large part of our dam water actually flows to major population centers around the West specifically the California area. There is a news reporter earlier in the week about the water level so far down in some reservoir areas that are used to produce the hydroelectric power around the state that there was only enough water running through the turbines produce about 57 to 67% of what is needed! The likelihood of “rolling blackouts” is a for real phenomenon. We need copious amounts of rain/water to bring us up to just maintenance level. I try not to think about this stuff too much is not a whole hell of a lot I can do about these situations yet, when the rain fell today I felt that I could breathe easier even for just a little bit. I marveled as the rain fell and soon puddles formed in the driveway outside my window and you could see the water running off of rooftops of the apartment complex here. Enough water was generated on the street for cars to develop rooster tails as they zoomed by. Truly, the rooster tails are somewhat conservative but there was water. The park on the other side of the fence rejoiced I could feel the grass giving of a sigh of relief as the moisture struck the blades. Interesting I must note however I still here the sprinklers come on at night – – local weatheroligists of all indicated there were concerned about those citizens/organizations who are not doing their part to conserve water. They suggested private corporations and city and state governments were major offenders because many of these organizations which have large amounts of lawn type surface of not really adjust the timing on the night time watering schedules. I know for example, nightly sprinklers come on by themselves around 11 o'clock and I listen to our giant circular rain birdlike sprinkling systems just clicking away. The first year I was here this really kept me awake now it just makes me feel guilty to enjoy listening to the sprinkler hit the fence and light poles around our apartment complex area specially at night sound travels.


I think I have like five bottles of water which I don't even call storage. I buy these I purchased these bottles of water with easy lift tops that during the night when I wake all thirsty in such all have to do is reach over grab a bottle pop open the easy lift up and take a couple big gulfs of water. My goal is to get a whole case of this bottle water so always have a vessel drink from. I suppose at some point there will be more water rationing and forced much more strictly than is currently happening. Sometimes I feel were headed for a Dune reality and not doing anything to really hold it back…

No comments: