Friday, April 21, 2017

Waiting For Dave

I don't quite remember how it happened but when I returned from North Carolina in around 1968 to 69 I returned to Borah high school finished my education. I think I've discussed some of this before in the post of this blog. One of the things that continued of course was my high school education not for one bit were my parents going to let me skate on my education. I of course did not think that was even an option. However had I thought things through a little bit and examined the life of my buddy Eugene Diffendaffer I would see that life without high school was possible. I guess in all fairness Eugene tried to go back to school but I guess you just too angry are too involved with his disability to get into the school routine – – and I think in the back of his mind he knew didn't have to. I never had that capability but that process even when I saw Eugene quit high school, divorces family and moved to a long term care facility back in those days called the nursing home. That was the path I could not take I would not be allowed to take.

Borah high school was on the other side of the valley and again I think I spoken of this before, it was the arch rival school of the Valley to the to the educational institution I was supposed to go to. Anyway long story short I accepted the fact I was enrolled at Borah and swelled the bitter pill. In the same vein no one told me, a quadriplegic pushing the manual chair that I was supposed to act like a quadriplegic pushing a manual chair. Nobody told me I was not supposed to go to the Saturday night dances. I believe I've talked about the Saturday night dances of the SND's before. So I went to the Saturday night dances, hung out more or less by myself from time to time and every once in a while would ask someone to dance the most the times would and I was a bit of a spectacle that was okay. Somewhere along the line one of the kids in my seminary class, guy named David Rogers befriended me. He befriended me to the point that they would actually go across the valley on Saturday nights pick me up to the dance and then we would stop by the local Hawkin's take-homewhere we would get this fabulous box dinner of either halibut, finger steak or shrimp. Talk about girls until we finished our dinner you drive me home.


The last two weeks David has called me three times. David is called me with the fervor for somebody who is just learn to use technology. We've been trying to text each other to some degree it's been successful not too though. Then we tried this other system on Facebook where we can talk to each other through the Internet that's been iffy too. So today I just called him on my new cell phone and we had a delightful conversation. It was great visiting with David. It's great having him back in my life. I hope I can hold up my end of the friendship and not be too needy. These promised to come down and visit from Boise this summer. He has one son living in Salt Lake Valley so I do not doubt this will happen. I hope it does until then I'll be waiting for Dave

No comments: