Sunday, April 30, 2017

Audiobook Breakthrough


I know you listen to audiobooks but can you say I am reading an audiobook? Is hearing about the same as reading a book? This is all kind of new to me since I just broke into the realm of audiobooks. My son tried to give me into audiobooks couple years ago and he gave me a book about what would happen to the earth if human beings vanished. The book was pretty good but I was left with a ho-hum experience at the end. It was factional it was very nonfiction and so is just ho-hum. I thought parts of the book interesting but I had to force myself to get through the book. Recently though I have been listening to fiction. A couple weeks ago at the library “throw a shelf” whether selloff used inventory of the library, I found an audiobook by Stephen King. 11 2263. I purchased the volume 5 bucks I figured it was worth the crapshoot and took a home and over the next week read the volume. I think it was something like 52 hours. I was amazed and plowed through the volume in that length of time. I found this method of book “reading” very rewarding. I had read the volume a couple years ago and I must not have finished the book because after the first couple chapters the book seemed entirely new to me. Unbelievable. What I really liked about reading the books this way was being able to do something entirely different at the same time like washing dishes, folding close, cleaning the apartment. Fantastic!

I'm now exploring other options in the realm of audiobooks. The Salt Lake City library offers up a number of volumes for purchase each week I have noticed. I usually stop at the library if I have the time before my Assist meeting. I have just been purchasing the volumes I listen to but I suppose I could actually check them out too. I'm kind of nervous about doing this because of the responsibility of not damaging the discs. Right now I just have the option of listening to the book either at my computer are from my player in the kitchen which works good. Now I am thinking I should get a disc player for the bedroom. I'm not even explored the concept of getting the volumes in other formats like on a thumb drive or as a file from a book club or other source. I guess that would be more new technology and books on CD-ROM old technology. I was considering copying a CD-ROM onto my hard drive then playing the file as a piece of media. I don't know if that would work or how practical that would be far with the data even be usable. I suggest like the bullet and order a volume in this format which I could use on my tablet as well and take with me since I have found reading a very difficult task.. Boy! I just had an amazing thought. What if I had had talking books when I was at university? Gosh I think that would make such a big difference. I'm just blown away thinking about a road not taken. I could've used the books for the blind had I thought enough about different learning modes..


Audiobooks a new wave in my future.

No comments: