Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A Little Bit Of This A Little Bit Of That


Dana is my new person. I briefly spoke about her earlier in the week. I met her for the first time on Friday morning last week and then again on Monday. Now I have had it for the third time and can see she's solid. She's on time and she's a good worker and she's fun to be around. She takes direction well and clearly has her client's best interest in mind. That's how I feel anyway when she is working with and for me. Dana has all the best characteristics of my previous “good” caregivers without the apparent baggage. I know it's quite early in our relationship but I've not seen anything yet to think she might have issues of one sort or another. She presents a great road history with this particular agency so I don't see any reason why things should get weird. Having said that now, I hope I have not jinxed myself. I mean this CNA actually scouts around my apartment fall I'm on the toilet sweeping up the kitchen, making my bed and getting appliances that I cannot either reach or lift. Time to keep my fingers crossed.

Speaking of crossing fingers, today was the monthly DRAC meeting which was also a planning meeting for an action against one of the local legislators were really trying to screw folks are low-incom which definitely includes people with disabilities. As always DRAC meetings are weird meetings. I have never felt comfortable at the DRAC meeting and before that ADAPT. So many times I have been confused at what the goal of the operation might be. Today,, which is the extension of the meeting we had last week, plus a few housekeeping issues for the organization. But it was like pulling teeth to get an overall feeling of direction and what were going to do and how are going to do it. For the most part now I feel the organization is relatively on the right road going in the right direction. I sometimes feel a general feeling of frustration that decision are not being made fast enough or aggressive enough. Too often I feel that pride often gets mixed up with goal achievement or the need to be out in front of a camera, any camera, anywhere. Today for instance there are actually talking about going to somebody's home way out in Draper to humiliate a person, that we feel is making and influencing legislation directly against our interests, regardless how difficult it is for folks to get there on public transit. I myself feel that taking public transit all the way to the end of their line and still having to hump 2 ½ miles to get to the legislators home and then retrace my steps. I just do not know if these and justify the means. I was relieved when it looked like direction of the action was changing to his office at the Statehouse. This seems much more logistically friendly at least to me.


Dick, my friend I think, ask me at the end how I felt about the discussion and conclusions. I just looked at him without an answer. I may not be in the right crowd, again. Whereas I believe in all discussion for all the reasons being discussed I just have a difficult time getting hot for the conclusion. I will do it – – I don't know if I'd go all the way Draper – – but I'm not afraid of the action I'm just not hot for it. And I think a lot of the folks at the meeting kind of felt the same way. I think they're willing to do what has to be done I just don't know if they know what must be done is going to entail. It's one thing to talk about an action quite another to go through one. But many of these people have been the national actions so they know what to talk about it's just me I just don't know what my commitment level is or if I even have one. But we'll see it's getting time to do another action and hopefully I can be part.

No comments: