Friday, October 13, 2017

Come On! Give Me A Break…


I know I sound old and that I am complaining about anything new and vibrant and trendy but I really feel motivated to discuss this issue to some degree. I first noticed food trucks in Salt Lake City when I was still working for the state at the Access Utah Network housed with Utah Developmental Disability Council or UDDC. I often went further downtown to explore and find interesting places to eat on my lunch hours. In fact when I was still trading business with Zions First National Bank I often went to the downtown original office. This is when I first noticed a food truck that parked in their lot intermittently. I even bought a couple of items tthinking (Wow, this is kind of cool). There wa a great deal of construction going on downtown Salt Lake at the time. A lot of the construction boys stopped at the food truck. Very inexpensive food with a fairly high quality. There was always somebody around to reach out and either order or grab my food. I thought total lack of accessibility are to be honest I didn't even think of the accessibility issue at the time because I thought this truck was a novelty and didn't pay much more attention.

After I retired and the subsequent operations I haven't really been downtown as much as I used to be which I kind of miss. But, I have noticed the rise of the food trucks. I've noticed the food trucks become more and more sophisticated much more elegant than the roach coaches that offered quantities of food at a lower price than one could grab at local venues downtown or even at concerts and such.Soon the trucks were beginning to develop significant reputations and followings becoming high-end operations. Even in the counterculture newspapers like ThePrivate Eye and others these rolling restaurants republishing their schedules.

Listening to NPR this morning I noticed the chagrin that a number of the events announced by the radio station, and some related to fundraising for the organization highlighted the fact that these events would be served food and beverage from these trucks.. I stopped immediately thinking is the last time I went to such a truck. I think I ordered some form of Asian food you know the kind good food but very sloppy. There is no way I could get the attention of the vendor without somebody else there is no way I could order and there is no way to fetch the end product and offered without the individual cook/vendor actually coming around and down from the perch to give me my food. Something's wrong here! Red lights flashed in my head where have the people with disabilities.?! Why is not DRAC when on top of this? I would like to think this situation needs to be nipped in the bud that somehow there needs to be an alternative for people with disabilities to access these inaccessible food sanctuaries. The whole concept of the food truck is counter to accessible dining. In order to access these trucks one has to be able to stand and in many cases themselves reach up. I've noticed a couple of the trucks have counters that might be close to accessible standards but you still have to reach up way beyond accessible standards.


It's an old story, crap! It's the same old story. If were not watching whether it is transportation, brick-and-mortar restaurants, entertainment, and now rolling stock restaurants people disabilities continued become more and more visible. I wrote a play once about the importance of being visible it was well received but very trite and I think thought very trite but maybe it's time to do another play about being visible enough to get lunch or dinner I can reach totally on my own.

No comments: