Friday, October 06, 2017

Tin Cup And The Warden Calling Numbers

Image may contain: food
I started this blog this morning just before lunch. I was going on and on about my hopes and expectations regarding my involvement with the senior center. My main reason for leaving going over this morning was to pick up my card. That magical plastic coated card which will allow me to freely use all programs, services and events held at the Taylorsville senior center..

I'm glad I didn't finish and post my thoughts for today then. I got to the center about 1145 and went immediately to the front desk and asked if my card was ready and lo and behold the little old lady walked back from the back room (where these things are kept obviously) smiling and saying “Yes! Here it is! Here is your card your official now”. I snatched the card away happy to be part of the organization.

Process. Everything has a process I've learned that, so I just sat back and I cannot backpack and found the blue colored piece of paper which was issued to me when I surrendered my free lunch ticket.. I was told that I needed to present this when lunch was served.. People were sitting around roundtables in the dining area. I of course found the table with no one else there Table 10. There are a number of old folk knowing about the front of the kitchen serving area but I did not know they were servers at that point. I just thought they were eager beavers ready for dinner. Everything has a process. To the bingo games had come to a close about 11:55 AM. Interesting I thought the tumbler that spews the numbers was still on the table and the master of ceremonies was still there looking official. Right at 12:00 PM the MC welcomed everybodyand ask for a moment of silence with which everyone complied. After the moment of silence (which I think amounted to a giving of thanks for the food). The MC started cranking the tumbler with many of the numbers removed. It's totally weird. Also in the numbers of the tables started showing up and as each number came out , the Mcread the number in that table rose and went to the chow line. Actually what really happened was the first ball out of the thing was number 10, I was so taken aback that I didn't realize my table and then called in the MC went to the next number. I however refocused and zip to the head of the line that was when a minor discussion ensued that why did I want to go through the line when the volunteers would serve me. (Remember the group that was milling around in front of the kitchen? These people bring the food to those too disabled to go through the line. When I finally assured the delivery posse to I was in control of my destiny – – sort of – – at least been able to carry my food to the table they relented.

Like so much of life the food looked better than it was. I've always liked Salisbury steak and a rich gravy served with whipped potatoes and whatever vegetable shows up. Today I ate my Salisbury steak more out of courtesy than not. It was okay like I said not like mom's or my grade school's. Some form of succotash, chopped spinach and a cookie – chocolate chip – and a carton of milk very small carton of milk but I'm thankful for what I got and it's free at least this one was from now on will be three dollars lunch.


This is a good experience. I got my card and explored a little bit more of the senior center. I might try to go over there at least once every couple days and swipe my card for the machine reader to indicate I'm using services so they can tally the results for the grant years – – I totally understand. For three dollars I can get one of the cheapest McDonald's burgers and the cheapest fries and a glass of water and I'm goodgoal

No comments: