Thursday, October 26, 2017

Halloween Party


I've had so much going on the past two months with all my dental work and other things that seemed to have been happening on Thursdays, I was a bit taken back when I realized after my coffee social I had a great while the week before heading down south to the library for the next chapter book club. Then I remembered I had seen a posting or maybe an email about the annual Halloween party over at the Independent living center for I used to work. So I figured why not go to the center hang out there for a couple hours and then head out to West Jordan library.

I got to the center just as the event was beginning right around 12 noon. I was a bit taken back as I am every time I see my colleagues whom with used to work. Like me we of all aged significantly. I suppose with the exception of Charlotte the witch I am the oldest. Deb the director,, Kim the associate director and Julie (who joined us a bit later) were all there. Deb and Kim now run the center, Julie like I is retired. I was surprised at how many attended this year's party. They're certainly not the same clients we used to serve but still folks with disabilities and folks who deserve a party. Deb and I visited and later Julie Kim dropped and often on he ran around shepherding different events and clients. We talked about our friends who weren't there who for one reason or another are having a hard time with life at this point. It's a shame. Julie, who was a quadriplegic sort like me. She still retains a great deal mobility but has just gone through a very rough year where I think we almost lost her. It seems however she found a physician who knew what he was doing and working with people with spinal cord injury. She is stable now but looking around the table I can see we are all in a precarious position. Anyone of us could be taken any day relatively easy to many of our number have been taken.


I don't know how healthy it was to sit around talking about the possible demise of ourselves or our friends but that's what we did and that's what we do. Deb mentioned that she is seriously thinking of retiring just so that she'll be able to get to do something with her life except work. I kind it would be surprised if that were to happen but maybe. Kim would probably take over but I don't think he's long for work either. Though he still has a couple years before he Turns 60 Let alone 65. I don't know how much time he wants to give himself to retirement.. I bid the people farewell As I had to catch a bus and train to get to my next assignment. I agreed, once again, to be St. Nick at the Christmas party and six weeks, that is if I make it that long… Ho ho ho

No comments: