Sunday, October 01, 2017

A Little Bit Of Turkey


I don't know what's gotten into me whether it's fall, whether it's the overcast weekend or whether I'm trying to be conscientious and cook materials I have on hand before their expiration date expires. Whatever the reason I've been cooking my ass off. They before yesterday I took the frozen turkey breast I've had in the freezer for a year now. It actually expired the end of last month I believe but I think it's still good as a bird goes. I thawed the Bird breast out yesterday Then through the chest in the oven about an hour ago and now the places begin to smell like Thanksgiving. I even, last-minute, stuck the whole shebang into a oven bag which I had not planned at all and I had forgotten I even got the bags at any time so I am anticipating cleanup should be a breeze.

I still remember purchasing the turkey breast, at the time thinking this would be great to have on hand and then cursing myself each day I opened the freezer and realized and eight of the freezer is taken up by the stupid bird chest. I don't know why have not cooked the breast before now. Last year when I got it I thought maybe I would cook it over Thanksgiving. If I remember right I was sick over Thanksgiving. I remember them bringing me down the plate of Thanksgiving dinner. I was not motivated enough at Christmas and then I kind of forgot that the thing was up there except for the inconvenience of all the space the turkey took up. Had I not taken the bird out on Friday afternoon to begin thawing, I would've taken off yesterday to purchase a blade roast over at Walmart. Truly funny I didn't even realize I liked blade roasts – – in fact I didn't like blade roasts Until yesterday. I noticed last week coming home from Chapter Read book club When I stopped and picked up some potato chips. I cooked up a pile of sloppy Joe earlier in the day and wanted some chips to go with my little slider burger buns that I got on food box day. I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed they had a number of blade roast out. I wish I purchased a roast then but I did not. The reason I did not purchase a blade roast then was I knew I had this turkey frozen in my freezer and I had to use it up.

I mentioned all surprised to see the blade roast because I've been looking for blade roast or seven bone roast for a number of months now in my market across the street from my apartment complex. I even spoke with the butcher who acted like he did not know what I was talking about. The seven bone roast are blade roast I said and the butcher – or whatever he was – behind the meat counter just tilted his head and scratched. I purchased a couple of folks to meet their but they obviously did not carry blade roasts. We always had blade roasts when we got our meat back from the butcher in the old days. We butcher a calf every year. Space we got some traditional type roasts but by and large we got blade roasts. I like the roast you could carve nice slices of roast beef as opposed to pulling off pieces of string beef off the blade roast. Now however, I've cooked a number of regular roasts and don't like the carving aspect I understand now why many folks like the blade roast the ease of pulling off hunks of meat as opposed to carving off slices. I like them beef roast strings from Blade. Both make adequate sandwiches in the blade roast is much easier to stack off .


I believe I'll enjoy my turkey breast but look forward to with true excitement Next Sunday's blade roast.

No comments: