Thursday, November 30, 2017

Cold Winters Night



What is really fascinating riding public transit Is how nearly perfect some of the the routes seem to be intertwined one with the other. So many times when riding and I'm going to have to make a connection to another bus to complete my journey, that I get to a bus stop in time as the connecting bus pulls and and I just go from one vehicle almost to the next with very little or no waiting time. This is nice in the spring and summer but as long as I know another vehicles coming I do not really care if I miss the next immediate bus. In the winter however are in inclement weather this is another situation. I want to make that connection. Yesterday you remember I have one commitment which was meeting with the Speaker of the House. Having executed that one commitment I really was focused on going home.Today is about turned cold even when the sun is shining be an out the element is chilling especially towards evening now that the hours of daylight are more and more limited until the solstice – – which is later this month– –Now, is nearly dark by 5 o'clock. It just seems to me the day get way colder After Dark. I was tired even though the meeting with the legislator and only lasted one hour I was pretty tired from my day of running around. I just wanted to get home and I did not want to wait another 15 minutes or half an hour for the next northbound bus on Redwood Road. Elsewhere in my blog I believe I have explained Route 54 and five I elected choose Route 54 now over 47. Route 54 drops you off right at my backdoor to the apartments. Route 54 also feels more direct and 47. Route 47 meanders quite a bit as The bus works its way from Murray Central to 4700 S.and Redwood Road. If there is a drawback to my use of route 54 is that the stop for my 217 connection is about half a block from the bus stop on Redwood Road. It seemed late as the sun was going down last night. I had to stop after my event at the state capitol building at central point or 2100 S. I had to go to Best Buy and have the Samsung professional fix my cell phone which had began to malfunction. One of the things I rarely do Going home is to check the bus schedule from the On my phone which lets me know when the buses will be at the bus stops. This works really well very very useful. I noticed as my bus pulled out that we had just about 13 minutes to get from State Street and 5300 S. or Murray Central West to 5300 S. and Redwood Road. Where I set locked in my wheelchair tiedowns I can see the computerized clock that the bus driver uses to make his time points. Usually there's only one or two stops made between Murray Central and 5300 and Redwood Road. But not today. It seems like every stop along the way somebody pulled the cord bringing the bus to a stop. And if somebody is not pulling the stop cord there was someone standing at the stop each taking a minute or two. As I even when I got to my stop before Redwood Road I still have Driving my chair all the way To the Redwood Road bus stop it seems to take forever. One of breaks my heart is racing for the bus stop lookup and see my bus drive past. Granted more often than not rather than wait I will drive my chair home to the apartments on the sidewalk. But it's cold now in the drive is almost painful having to endure driving over the spaces between concrete slabs. I can do it not a problem I just would rather take the bus. I had all but given up hold but yet had not seen the bus pass in front of us. The driver stopped let me off and off I went. When you towards the intersection I can look south and see oncoming traffic. The buses over the road have such a high profile it's easy to make them out as I traverse to the bus stop. I was amazed I got to the bus stop and no bus for a minute or two and then as I look south there was the big red white and blue vehicle waddling down Redwood Road. I made it. One of things I like best on a cold day is rolling onto these big old vehicles always overheated but also welcome on cold night.

No comments: