Sunday, July 15, 2018

Danger To Self…





You know that phrase, “a danger to self and others” that little snippet of phraseology that can mean whether a person is incarcerated in a facility that is safe to himself and others. I don't know… I just don't know if I'm getting close to that point. What a hoot. I was thinking about that this morning as I shaved, I actually slept in till 7:00 AM, which is good I suppose especially for me who has had a history of sleeping just few hours night but getting by oddly enough. As I was shaving my face I got to wondering what it would be like to do this simple pleasure all shaving my face in a long-term care facility. I think I would get by after a period of adjustment just fine. This trickle of thought got me thinking of when my oldest friends, will of course is not dead, Dr. Clarence McIntyre. Clarence McIntyre M.D. Was my boss, my mentor and my friend for a short span of time. I don't know if I've written much about Mac over the years that I've blogged. I possibly should've written more space and maybe I will. What's important in today's blog is that after the death of his life Alice Mac went a little crazy. Perhaps Mac was already crazy and Alice at Mac in toe. Without Alice to rein in Mac started given away all his money – – there is nothing more dangerous to our families fortunate than the Fountainhead truly believing in Christian teachings and following them to the letter. Seriously, this is conjecture on my part, but soon I received word that my friend was in long-term care facility (for his own benefit). I begin writing to Mac once a week just because I could. My point being Mac got along just fine in the facility he ended up in. It sounds like a high-end place, the look after Mac very well and Mac seem to thrive even though he did not say so in his letters. He found a small group of like thinkers hell-bent on rebellion and revolution of “the joint”. I sure miss Mac and now wish I had made more attempts to be a more physical part of his life while he lived here in the West. He got along just fine and so would I.

Yesterday at food bank I got a frozen out of hamburger which I decided to thaw out. I was actually thinking about making real hamburger patties and barbecuing them up, but after last week and still a bit wary. Then I thought about making a meatloaf it's been a while and I do that meatloaf with ketchup. I did not want to risk setting off the fire alarm and as involved in the project of transcription and time got away from me. I decided instead to throw the ingredients together for a meatloaf and then do patties. Meatloaf hamburger patties is almost as good as meatloaf and convenient. I cleaned out the section of the stove and really thought I had cleared the burners. I mixed the patties then painstakingly made the patties and put them on the stove to fry. I put the heat on low so I can watch 60 minutes. I of course was soon interrupted by the smell of plastic. Somehow, I turned on not only the burner for the patties but I also (probably with my elbow) turned on the burner that moved all the plastic to in the smoke was not yet bellowing but was close. I caught this potential disaster in time. I'm still surprised the smoke alarms did not start wailing. I dodged the bullet on this one. But still in the back of my mind I can hear the smoke alarms going and then the fire alarms going in the fire engines coming. Beware for who the siren wails… It wails for thee… With apologies to Ernie Hemingway. 

2 comments:

Catsngrams said...

Hi Mark my name is Carla Valerio and my husband Antonio is your biological brother. We live in Santaquin Utah. If you want to he has a facebook page. Antonio Valerio. I also have one Carla Rasmussen Valerio. You might be interested in our pictures. You look so much a like.

Carla

Meadowlark's Mind said...

Thank you Carla protecting time in the courage to make contact with me. I appreciate that. That is so weird that you all live Santaquin. My aunt and uncle and mother lived there for an extended period of time in the 80s and 90s I believe. What an interesting little community. I checked your websites but became concerned when it looks like they been taken over by some sort of a slot machine video virus. I backed out quickly and I hope my machine is not affected. However, I was quite fascinated with the few images I didn't see and Antonio, indeed there is a family resemblance. We do need to get together and explore this finding.

I still am trying to get my head around the whole thing so please be patient. Thank you again for your courage.