Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Libraries



I really like libraries. Oh, I don't like libraries enough to hang around them all the time like some folk who use a library escape from the heat, from the cold from being homeless. I like the feeling I get when I enter a library, I like the odor , the fragrance of paper old paper and ink. I guess you could say there's a musky odor I'm not really sure what that means except that I tend to associate that descriptor with old libraries not the new edifices to knowledge that now exist. I'm surprised there's any odor at all. The new libraries almost seem antiseptic. To do libraries are certainly freer then than they used to be. People now speak in libraries openly and loudly, children run chaotically many times unsupervised. It seems that libraries have evolved from a religious atmosphere of quiet contemplation and reading to seemingly erupt with joy from the quality of learning experience by the individual.

There are three libraries I'm intimately involved with or have been over my stay here in Salt Lake. The Salt Lake City Library, the library in sugarhouse in the West Jordan library. Like I said I don't go to the library unless I have a reason. For instance the Salt Lake City library is directly across from the track station of the same name. I get off at the stop for my weekly meetings at Assist, Inc. many times I try to get to the station with enough time that I can leisurely wander through sections of the library before I have to attend a meeting. I also started attending film viewings and lectures at this facility. As I said it's clientele is change significantly over the years sadly if not fortunately the downtown library is a haven for those in need particularly the homeless was nowhere to go after the management throws them out of the on the shelters from 7 to 6 PM. The Sugarhouse library seems to be a relic from another time. I often call the sugarhouse library very Harry Potter. It's a small library two floors probably built in the 20s and 30s vaulted ceilings looking like a set from a Harry Potter movie. The whole experience of entering this library is traveling through time. The library now I am most involved withis the West Jordan library. I have my Thursday afternoon reading at this facility. I always get their early so I can check the free books , hit the bathroom and get ready for my class. This is a basic family library in Mo vill Utah. Kids run around, baby scream and church at soccer moms visit to talk. There is even a baby grand that people are invited to play as long as they are respectable. I've really gotten off this library probably best of all. The Dragon that I have at the front of this post was in a special section earlier this summer, Harry Potter conference/program was offered with papier-mâché creatures from his volumes.

There are a number of other public libraries of course scattered around the city but I've never been impressed with them as much as the three favorites I've written about tonight.


No comments: