Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Meat Glorious Meat



I don't know how I did it this morning I woke up to find two of my toenails hanging off the foot or the toes. I think that most of kind the toenails on the mattress is that as I was getting up. I tend to drag feet over the side of the bed that's all I can think of. When I tried to put on my shoes I was feeling the pain. Luckily, my weekly Tuesday meeting had been moved to tomorrow – that same time same place. I didn't know really what to do. Again this is one of those areas that Dianne would've stepped in and finished but I started. She would evaluate and then do whatever surgical or medical was needed to take care of the problem. The only thing I can think of was getting a hold of my buddy Richard the podiatrists. I can't believe I have a podiatrist but I do. I call the office and luckily he was in. Richard the podiatrist has like three or four offices stretched along the Wasatch front which he spends half the day at each one during the week. It was 9:30 AM and the nurse and I get there by 12 Richard will work me in.

One of my favorite places in Boise Idaho was Smokey Davis Meats. I do not believe I've ever tasted any jerky better than Smokey Davis made. They made a host of other meat products but don't think I ever had anything other than jerky. The establishment was housed in the distinctive A-frame building that was finally destroyed a couple years ago when Boise condemned building for a highway… Unbelievable. One cannot find meat shops like they used to have… Little butcher shops, order chops, roasts or steaks a rack of ribs or anything meat oriented. That is why I sat up and took notice number of months ago as as going out to West Jordan library for First Chapter there was a little butcher shop! It looked as if someone had taken the remains of a 7-Eleven turned into a butcher shop. In order to get to my podiatrist bypassed this butcher shop once again and this time I said to myself “you going to visit that place today”.

The podiatrist experience was okay. Just the short expanse of pain but even if the remaining toenail off my foot/toe. He was operating under the assumption that as a quadriplegic I had no sensation below might trauma level – – wrong! Richard say the other toenail and assured me that the toenail which was removed would grow back. I almost wish I had the courage to do the procedure for they kill toenails and you no longer have to worry or had them cut every six weeks.

On the way back I had the driver stopped at the stop closest to the butcher shop and magically there was a stop right in front of the shop. Of course, the place was clean and cool. The shop has that meaty odor “Hickory smoke” odor, like in deli but this was no deli. This place had all the exotic meat choices a deli offers but no sandwiches are made here. There's a lot of meat wrapped in white paper wrap. This place will actually cut and wrap your beef, deer or other animal you wish “processed”. In fact I tried to buy some hamburger branded with “Archers” which I thought was a meat vendor but actually it was somebody's order and I was told to stay away from the meats with those markings. You can still buy bundles of 50, 100 200 etc. etc. pounds. I was impressed. I bought a pound and a half of hamburger (they don't sell in smaller quantities than a pound and a half). They had the hot dogs I loved. There is no jerky I could see – – though they probably have some brand of jerky but they did not make the jerky themselves. I'm still going back and buy some hot dog/wieners when I get done with my food bank dogs. I hope this place makes it I just love the idea of a local butcher

No comments: