Monday, July 30, 2018

Maybe Tomorrow



I heard something on NPR today that's really rolling around in my brain and I wondered how true the story actually was – – not that I doubt the story, I would not knowingly cast a shadow of question over the reporting . The story was about the need to to hydrate over these hot summer months, actually to hydrate all the time. I was about ready to blow up the whole story when the reporter interviewed a doctor who wrote the aarticle. Among other reasons to hydrate, according to this reporter, was to stay focused and alert. Significant research has been done showing that clarity of thought is dependent on A hydrated the subject is. Of course the doc is touting the old eight glasses a day standard. I have done eight glasses a day, back in my first rehabilitation days. I swear I almost drown. To ingest that much fluid you have to be drinking all the time you're conscience. They are essentially forced to drink two glasses of fluids per meal and then two more glasses of fluids between classes.
Dianne could do that. She was so good at drinking water I was amazed and a bit envious. So if this information is accurate I have a reason explaining all my episodes of forgetfulness, word finding difficulties and who knows what else I can blame my many inadequacies on? I just have to drink more fluids and does not have to be water! This summer and been drinking a lot more water mixed with flavorings I get from the dollar stores – – or what used to be the dollar stores. I have really been trying to force fluids this summer. Some days I do better than others but I have increased my fluid intake but I cannot recognize an uptick of my cognitive abilities just the amount of catheters I use in a day increased.

I was thinking about how many catheters I use, this morning, while in the bathroom at the wheelchair shop. I was late, I was monstrously late because I had scheduled my wheelchair reconditioning to close to my visit from a home health person, Dana. I thought of been so cool and smart when I set the appointment last week – – I could've had any time in the morning for this event but I wanted early in the earliest I could get was 9 AM. Thank God they could not do 8 AM. I totally spaced out that Monday morning is my standard meeting date and time with Dane and it's always at 7 o'clock in the morning. In my defense I almost made it. I would've been very close even with switching buses at the West Jordan transit station but when I got to the transit station I had to wait half an hour before my bus but even depart. I called the soon as I could to let the wheelchair shop now and they were most gracious. Luckily I was carrying a bottle and one half of water. One bottle was from my meeting with DRAC on Wednesday and a bottle of flavored Springwater when just foisted on me Saturday at the food pantry . Usually I just carry the bottled water my backpack until I tire of it and usually given to someone who looks like they need an 8 ounce drink of water or toss it somewhere. I don't drink on the road as a rule just because I live in constant fear of not being able to find a bathroom that's accessible when I need one. I realized that on any of my tripsI rarely have found the restroom I could not use. Especially new construction. Some of the trendy restaurants made from older buildings still cause me problems but usually I'm okay, especially now that I use a catheter exclusively to relieve myself. Still today while I was out I only drank what was left of my bottled water in the DRAC meeting which is just about half. That in the event considering getting into the sparkling water. The sparkling water just seems to special to drink just because it's hot outside. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: