Sunday, July 08, 2018

World Cup, What World Cup?



Friday I was a were at the community college where is the meet my friend Lori for coffee and just the yammer for a while. Always try to get to the college before our scheduled meeting which allows me to use the automatic bank teller from my credit union as well as wander through the campus bookstore in dream and wonder at all the nice pieces of information technology they have for sale. The have a big screen Apple tablet I would love to have. I just cannot justify it. It's a big screen even bigger than the 10.1 I just got which is an android. I've never really gotten an Apple system but you can do so much particularly in the area of art. They have this piece of equipment over there at Salt Lake community college for $777. The biggest reason I don't invest in one is because it would just totally break my heart when I broke the screen and you know I will break the screen sooner or later is just who I am. Anyway, the money machine is in the main area. I was making my withdrawal and I heard a commotion like a large crowd cheering. I could not see anybody in the hall I was in but then I registered the faint smell of fresh popcorn. For some reason the popcorn smelled delicious and I started following my nose.

I don't understand soccer – – oh I mean I get the game I played the game enough times specially in eight and ninth grade. The game was a diversion something a little bit different to do in PE but really nothing to get excited about. Then about five or six years ago maybe a little bit longer my Bridget started playing soccer but I figure that which is part of the junior high/high school thing. Then my nephews started playing soccer than her sister joined in. Their mom my niece became a soccer coach as did her husband my nephew in law. They were serious about the whole thing. About the same time the local county actually built a soccer stadium down at the end of Sandy. For some reason it felt like there was the extraneous force trying to convince the people of Utah i.e. Salt Lake that soccer was the way to go. I mean a soccer stadium and a professional team give me a break. My older brother (my nieces that of course) started going to these games being supportive. It was amazing. I've noticed over the last couple years how advertising for the local team is increased in all areas of media. So much so if you step back a little bit you can see how a natural hoping it's. I think it's a national is not international effort to push this silly game. I mean luckily I stay away from most organized sports as it is maybe that's why the media is not affected me.

Anyway, following my nose I went into this big room which had a big screen at the end of the hall and on that screen was I guess the World Cup! What was really strange to me was that but look like a real live broadcast was actuallya game being played by avatars a least a look like to me: computer-generated images of I guess the real thing. I do not know if the game is supposedly being broadcast in real time or what. There is a popcorn machine in the corner man by three foreign students as near as I can tell. There are about six more guys sitting in front of the screen. The most about 30 to 50 chairs set up. Free popcorn is free popcorn I rolled over and picked up a bag of popcorn and it was delicious. When the foreign students nodded to me and smiled but did not offer any explanation may be his English was weak. Not me to judge. Maybe it was because it's summer and there's no real students on campus but I don't think there's any students anywhere in the USA to any great extent focused on the World Cup and sure as hell not me of course unless there's fresh popcorn.

No comments: