Saturday, July 07, 2018

Summer's Heat




As climate global change clicks into full gear will longer Wasatch front are getting the full brunt of unseasonable heat. Everyone is crying about how hot it is but you know what? I love it. I know you've heard this before but It is true I wait all year for this weather. I woke this morning the day was already hot, I looked out the window and saw clouds. The clouds were still there when I went out in now or so later and I remembered the exact same kind of clouds when I was preteen and teenager. These clouds held promise may be rain.

On a little farm we had about 10 acres that we raised hay for our few had of cattle. We're such a small operation We did everything ourselves– – Or the sons did. Dad worked all day it was up to Ross and I basically to get the hay in. Of course we can even do the first cutting until halfway through June and then another cutting in August followed by a smaller last cut in September. I'm trying to emphasize the fact that bringing in the hay was hot business. If my dad was lucky you and get us out early before he left for work And if we were really lucky you would help us with that first load before he left. Many days began with hopeful cloud cover and the promise of rain in cooler weather which would have been ideal for loading hay. Usually around 10 o'clock the clouds burnt off and the heat began.

Mom knew it was going to be hot so she dug out our little Coleman beverage cooler. I can still see this little cooler pink and white. Mom would take two of the four ice cube trays from the refrigerator icebox and dump them into the Coleman. Then should open up a can of frozen pink lemonade maybe two then dutifully adding the 6 units of water whatever amount the container that house the frozen juice. The the Coleman container would then stashed under the drivers seat of the international cub tractor we used to pull the big wooden hay trailer. Hauling hay is miserable weather your bucking hay bales or throwing hay into the wagon one pitchfork at the time. The sun is relentless, you sweat then the hay sticks to your skin and itches. We're usually good one load in the morning and then we would take off for the bridge where we would swim the soothing cooling water of the canal. Had we been as strong as my dad as far as work ethics we went to work through the afternoon drinking reconstituted lemonade and soaking whatever I we chose to wear with water and getting the job done. I often remember the sad look to my dad's eyes he would come home from his hot day at work and see I loaded racket hay and no boys to be found.. If we're still at the twin Bridges but my dad drive by in his little red service van he would stop And demand we climb on our bikes and get home or if you is really angry demand that we put our bikes in the back of the van and drive home in workers shame. We would do a fast milking and get out on the wagon off load the hayThen get our sorry asses back out into the hayfield for one load and possibly if my dad was really lucky two before calling it a night.

I love the heat nobody else does – – they all complain. Perhaps I enjoy the relentless temperature Trying to make me uncomfortable and sweat. Neither of which is going to happen. Regardless of the temperature in the heat before a complaint I just remember the snow on the valley floor and being confined to the apartments and then I just enjoy the heat and perhaps the other reason is that there is discomfort in this heat many the discomfort is burning away the sins of the lazy boy.


No comments: